Feb 18, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Just in case you hadn’t had enough fun with the latest surge of Carmelo Anthony trade rumors (that may or may not be exactly the same in status as the rumors which circulated some six months ago), here’s a fun bit: Anthony apparently has no knowledge at all of the reported meeting he’s supposed to have with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov. Anthony continued, as reported by the Associated Press:
Anthony says: “If I was to meet with that guy (Prokhorov) to be honest I really don’t know what I would say.”
Terrific. If Anthony’s just being facetious, it’s not appreciated; we’re all ready for this plot line to be over. It’s run its course, worn out its welcome, and given aneurysms to many of those tracing all of the rumors by choice or by trade.
If he’s not, then the possibility of Anthony becoming a Net is considerably less slim than most current reports would have you believe. The possibility may still be on the table, but talks between teams aren’t enough, and haven’t been enough throughout this entire process. No deal gets done without Anthony’s approval, unless the Nuggets have a radical change of heart and try to salvage what’s left of Anthony’s trade value at the trade deadline buzzer.
For what it’s worth, Ken Berger of CBS Sports has a flurry of Anthony quotes from today’s All-Star media availability on his Twitter feed, which serve to create a more complete picture of Anthony’s current circumstance. However, don’t mistake that for any advance in the state of trade negotiations. Most of Anthony’s comments merely flesh out what we already know: he doesn’t know where he’s going, he hasn’t agreed to any kind of extension with any team, and he’d like to have a legitimate offer to mull over.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54