Feb 17, 2011, 11:24 AM EDT
Tayshaun Prince has never put on an NBA jersey that did not say Pistons across the front. Some guys you can picture in another jersey easily — try to think of one Shaq hasn’t tried on — but some guys seem rooted. Thinking of Prince in another color uniform with another name across the front just seems weird. Like something out of a Tim Burton movie weird.
But he is an $11.1 million expiring contract on a team that needs to rebuild, and is a guy with plenty of game left — anyone not need a good wing defender? — so he is going to pop up in trade rumors.
And if the Piston’s trade him, he’s good with that, he told the Detroit News.
“It would be something I’d definitely look at,” Prince said after the Pistons’ 115-109 overtime win against Indiana on Wednesday at The Palace. “Who wouldn’t want be in that situation, to have an opportunity to play for another championship?”
“I’m not in the situation that Rip (Richard Hamilton) is in, or obviously some of the other guys in the league. I think I’ll be here for the rest of the year.”
The Pistons ownership situation — negotiations with Tom Gores to buy the team are supposed to be near complete — may play a factor in Prince not being traded. The Pistons are not looking to take on a lot more long-term salary, so if Prince is moved it would be for picks and young players and another expiring deal. And with uncertainty over the new Collective Bargaining Agreement yet to be hammered out, nobody is really giving those picks and young players.
If the Pistons hold on to him, then he comes off the books and they save a lot of money next season. That may be what happens.
It would make Prince a free agent this summer. And next season he would be wearing new colors on the jersey with a new name across the front. And that still just seems weird.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 7
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 5
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10