Feb 17, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Knicks fans have been clamoring for Donnie Walsh to just make the deal — doesn’t matter what the price is, the Knicks need Carmelo Anthony. Knicks fans are desperate.
You still sure?
According to Jonathan Abrams at the New York Times, the price is every starter not named Stoudemire.
According to a Knicks official, Denver wants Raymond Felton, Landry Fields, Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari — four of their top six players — for Carmelo Anthony and an aging Chauncey Billups. The Nuggets have also asked about Timofey Mozgov.
The price is too high for the Knicks. It would damage the roster, leaving Anthony and Stoudemire without a supporting cast.
Donnie Walsh, the Knicks’ president, has been willing to part with one top rotation player — Chandler or Gallinari — in addition to Eddy Curry’s expiring contract and a draft pick. The Knicks believe they are dealing from a position of strength, armed with the knowledge that Anthony wants to play in New York and could by signed as a free agent this summer.
Free agency is really the best option for the Knicks to get Anthony, they get their star and keep their role players. It’s perfect.
Except for that whole New Jersey Nets thing.
The Nets complicate the picture because Denver has always preferred the potential of Derrick Favors (along with picks and Troy Murphy’s contract) to any of the Knicks offerings. If those talks start to pick up real steam — and reports are the Nets are hesitant after getting burned twice by the Nuggets — the Knicks may have to increase the offer.
Or not. Maybe they ride out Carmelo Anthony and start looking at Chris Paul and other future free agents. Because Walsh is right. The Nuggets are asking too much if this report is true. There is a price that is too high, even for a superstar.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30