Feb 17, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Knicks fans have been clamoring for Donnie Walsh to just make the deal — doesn’t matter what the price is, the Knicks need Carmelo Anthony. Knicks fans are desperate.
You still sure?
According to Jonathan Abrams at the New York Times, the price is every starter not named Stoudemire.
According to a Knicks official, Denver wants Raymond Felton, Landry Fields, Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari — four of their top six players — for Carmelo Anthony and an aging Chauncey Billups. The Nuggets have also asked about Timofey Mozgov.
The price is too high for the Knicks. It would damage the roster, leaving Anthony and Stoudemire without a supporting cast.
Donnie Walsh, the Knicks’ president, has been willing to part with one top rotation player — Chandler or Gallinari — in addition to Eddy Curry’s expiring contract and a draft pick. The Knicks believe they are dealing from a position of strength, armed with the knowledge that Anthony wants to play in New York and could by signed as a free agent this summer.
Free agency is really the best option for the Knicks to get Anthony, they get their star and keep their role players. It’s perfect.
Except for that whole New Jersey Nets thing.
The Nets complicate the picture because Denver has always preferred the potential of Derrick Favors (along with picks and Troy Murphy’s contract) to any of the Knicks offerings. If those talks start to pick up real steam — and reports are the Nets are hesitant after getting burned twice by the Nuggets — the Knicks may have to increase the offer.
Or not. Maybe they ride out Carmelo Anthony and start looking at Chris Paul and other future free agents. Because Walsh is right. The Nuggets are asking too much if this report is true. There is a price that is too high, even for a superstar.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 3
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 30
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 48
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28