Feb 17, 2011, 4:26 PM EST
We’re members of the Ramon Sessions fan club. He’s not going to make you forget about Chris Paul, but he’s a quality point guard who plays within himself. He’s quick (clearly a lot quicker than Derek Fisher and Steve Blake after dropping 32 on the Lakers Wednesday), he’s good in transition and impressive on the pick-and-roll. Can’t really knock down the three so he doesn’t take them. Wish more guys would do that.
Sources say ATL, Portland, NYK among the teams interested in Cavs’ Ramon Sessions.
Atlanta makes a lot of sense. They start Mike Bibby at the point. He came into the NBA when Grover Cleveland was president. They wanted Jeff Teague to take that job away from him, but Teague has proven unable. They need a better option and Sessions game would fit well on offense with what the Hawks do (we mean he can watch Josh Smith take an ill-advised jumper as well as anyone). Not sure that Sessions pushes them past anyone in the East — especially in the playoffs — but he’s an affordable ($4 million this season, $4.2 million next) option.
The question is on defense — is he a better defender than Bibby? The numbers on Synergy this season say no, and Byron Scott has been frustrated with Sessions’ defense in Cleveland. But Bibby has such better big men behind him covering up his mistakes than Sessions we find it hard to compare. Basically, we’re not sure Sessions can be worse than Bibby.
Where Sessions ends up depends on who can offer the best combo of picks and young players (or expiring deals) — the Cavs need to rebuild and you can bet they plan to deal Sessions to help that process.
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 0
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60