Feb 17, 2011, 4:26 PM EST
We’re members of the Ramon Sessions fan club. He’s not going to make you forget about Chris Paul, but he’s a quality point guard who plays within himself. He’s quick (clearly a lot quicker than Derek Fisher and Steve Blake after dropping 32 on the Lakers Wednesday), he’s good in transition and impressive on the pick-and-roll. Can’t really knock down the three so he doesn’t take them. Wish more guys would do that.
Sources say ATL, Portland, NYK among the teams interested in Cavs’ Ramon Sessions.
Atlanta makes a lot of sense. They start Mike Bibby at the point. He came into the NBA when Grover Cleveland was president. They wanted Jeff Teague to take that job away from him, but Teague has proven unable. They need a better option and Sessions game would fit well on offense with what the Hawks do (we mean he can watch Josh Smith take an ill-advised jumper as well as anyone). Not sure that Sessions pushes them past anyone in the East — especially in the playoffs — but he’s an affordable ($4 million this season, $4.2 million next) option.
The question is on defense — is he a better defender than Bibby? The numbers on Synergy this season say no, and Byron Scott has been frustrated with Sessions’ defense in Cleveland. But Bibby has such better big men behind him covering up his mistakes than Sessions we find it hard to compare. Basically, we’re not sure Sessions can be worse than Bibby.
Where Sessions ends up depends on who can offer the best combo of picks and young players (or expiring deals) — the Cavs need to rebuild and you can bet they plan to deal Sessions to help that process.
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 11
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)