Feb 17, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT
We’re members of the Ramon Sessions fan club. He’s not going to make you forget about Chris Paul, but he’s a quality point guard who plays within himself. He’s quick (clearly a lot quicker than Derek Fisher and Steve Blake after dropping 32 on the Lakers Wednesday), he’s good in transition and impressive on the pick-and-roll. Can’t really knock down the three so he doesn’t take them. Wish more guys would do that.
Sources say ATL, Portland, NYK among the teams interested in Cavs’ Ramon Sessions.
Atlanta makes a lot of sense. They start Mike Bibby at the point. He came into the NBA when Grover Cleveland was president. They wanted Jeff Teague to take that job away from him, but Teague has proven unable. They need a better option and Sessions game would fit well on offense with what the Hawks do (we mean he can watch Josh Smith take an ill-advised jumper as well as anyone). Not sure that Sessions pushes them past anyone in the East — especially in the playoffs — but he’s an affordable ($4 million this season, $4.2 million next) option.
The question is on defense — is he a better defender than Bibby? The numbers on Synergy this season say no, and Byron Scott has been frustrated with Sessions’ defense in Cleveland. But Bibby has such better big men behind him covering up his mistakes than Sessions we find it hard to compare. Basically, we’re not sure Sessions can be worse than Bibby.
Where Sessions ends up depends on who can offer the best combo of picks and young players (or expiring deals) — the Cavs need to rebuild and you can bet they plan to deal Sessions to help that process.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30