Feb 17, 2011, 5:52 PM EDT
Well, it’s can’t get worse reviews than Spiderman the Musical.
The NBA is teaming up with Eric Simonson and the team that has brought “Lombardi” to Broadway to produce “Magic/Bird,” reports the Chicago Tribune.
Just as “Lombardi” was produced with the help of National Football League, “Magic/Bird” will have the backing of the National Basketball Association. Bird and Johnson will also participate in Simonson’s new project, scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
The makings of a good play are certainly there — if you don’t know the story go see HBO’s “Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals.” Now. It is fantastic. Anyway, what you need for a good play is drama — conflict — and characters that strive and have to grow and achieve at a higher level to overcome an obstacle. This story has all that (over and over). Plus Lakers vs. Celtics. Sounds good to me.
Twitter caught fire Wednesday with people trying to think up casting for the play. I admit my idea of James Gandolfini as Bird may not really work. If you want to play casting supervisor put your suggestions in the comments.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10