Feb 17, 2011, 5:52 PM EDT
Well, it’s can’t get worse reviews than Spiderman the Musical.
The NBA is teaming up with Eric Simonson and the team that has brought “Lombardi” to Broadway to produce “Magic/Bird,” reports the Chicago Tribune.
Just as “Lombardi” was produced with the help of National Football League, “Magic/Bird” will have the backing of the National Basketball Association. Bird and Johnson will also participate in Simonson’s new project, scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
The makings of a good play are certainly there — if you don’t know the story go see HBO’s “Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals.” Now. It is fantastic. Anyway, what you need for a good play is drama — conflict — and characters that strive and have to grow and achieve at a higher level to overcome an obstacle. This story has all that (over and over). Plus Lakers vs. Celtics. Sounds good to me.
Twitter caught fire Wednesday with people trying to think up casting for the play. I admit my idea of James Gandolfini as Bird may not really work. If you want to play casting supervisor put your suggestions in the comments.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20