Feb 17, 2011, 5:52 PM EDT
Well, it’s can’t get worse reviews than Spiderman the Musical.
The NBA is teaming up with Eric Simonson and the team that has brought “Lombardi” to Broadway to produce “Magic/Bird,” reports the Chicago Tribune.
Just as “Lombardi” was produced with the help of National Football League, “Magic/Bird” will have the backing of the National Basketball Association. Bird and Johnson will also participate in Simonson’s new project, scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012.
The makings of a good play are certainly there — if you don’t know the story go see HBO’s “Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals.” Now. It is fantastic. Anyway, what you need for a good play is drama — conflict — and characters that strive and have to grow and achieve at a higher level to overcome an obstacle. This story has all that (over and over). Plus Lakers vs. Celtics. Sounds good to me.
Twitter caught fire Wednesday with people trying to think up casting for the play. I admit my idea of James Gandolfini as Bird may not really work. If you want to play casting supervisor put your suggestions in the comments.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10