Feb 16, 2011, 5:54 PM EDT
Rudy Gay, the best perimeter player and key cog of the suddenly hot Memphis Grizzlies, will be out for at least a month due to a left shoulder subluxation discovered by an MRI on Wednesday.
That sound you hear is the Memphis Grizzlies hot streak and playoff chances careening off the rails. Right now the Grizzlies are half-a-game out of the final playoff spot in the West but were 8-2 in their last 10.
A subluxation is where a joint that is starting to dislocate, kind of a partial dislocation. It can still be quite painful and cause damage to the tendons and ligaments in the area. Gay will receive treatment for a week and be re-evaluated in a month, the team said.
Gay suffered his on his left shoulder midway through the Grizzlies victory over the Sixers Tuesday night. He left the game (after trying to shoot his free throws one handed) and did not return.
Gay is averaging 19.8 points per game and is part of the outside, slashing balance for the Grizzlies to Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol inside. He also is shooting 39.6 percent from three this season. In the last 10 games he has averaged 16.4 points and 7.3 rebounds a game (but has shot just 25 percent from three).
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 6
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars