Feb 16, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
We told you yesterday of the report that the Charlotte Bobcats were about to lock up coach Paul Silas for one more year.
That will become official at noon, according to a tweet from Mike Cranston of the Associated Press.
The Bobcats are 15-13 under Silas this season, a big improvement from the 9-19 they had been under Larry Brown. Silas sped up the Bobcats tempo and tried the crazy concept of injecting confidence into young point guard D.J. Augustin. It worked, he has pushed the Bobcats into playoff contention in the East (they are currently the nine seed, 1.5 games out of the playoffs).
This is a smart move by the Bobcats. Not their long-term move, Silas is 67, but he has earned another year.
Two years ago, Silas had blood clots in his leg and body that almost cost him his life, he told Cranston.
(In 2008) He said doctors performed exploratory surgery to determine why he was feeling poorly, which led to blood clots in his lungs.
The clots then moved to the quadriceps muscle in his left leg.
“I would walk down steps and I would just fall down,” Silas said. “It was touch and go.”
Things got worse and Silas was hospitalized on Christmas Eve 2008 and sedated as doctors tried to solve his medical problems.
“I was in intensive care for about six weeks,” Silas said. “I was out. It was scary for my family. I don’t remember anything during that six-week period.”
Damn scary. Most people after that experience would be happy to spend their days at home with family and watching Law & Order reruns. Not Silas, he is helping re-energize an NBA franchise. That’s impressive.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 46
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 64
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 19
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 39
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3