Feb 16, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
We told you yesterday of the report that the Charlotte Bobcats were about to lock up coach Paul Silas for one more year.
That will become official at noon, according to a tweet from Mike Cranston of the Associated Press.
The Bobcats are 15-13 under Silas this season, a big improvement from the 9-19 they had been under Larry Brown. Silas sped up the Bobcats tempo and tried the crazy concept of injecting confidence into young point guard D.J. Augustin. It worked, he has pushed the Bobcats into playoff contention in the East (they are currently the nine seed, 1.5 games out of the playoffs).
This is a smart move by the Bobcats. Not their long-term move, Silas is 67, but he has earned another year.
Two years ago, Silas had blood clots in his leg and body that almost cost him his life, he told Cranston.
(In 2008) He said doctors performed exploratory surgery to determine why he was feeling poorly, which led to blood clots in his lungs.
The clots then moved to the quadriceps muscle in his left leg.
“I would walk down steps and I would just fall down,” Silas said. “It was touch and go.”
Things got worse and Silas was hospitalized on Christmas Eve 2008 and sedated as doctors tried to solve his medical problems.
“I was in intensive care for about six weeks,” Silas said. “I was out. It was scary for my family. I don’t remember anything during that six-week period.”
Damn scary. Most people after that experience would be happy to spend their days at home with family and watching Law & Order reruns. Not Silas, he is helping re-energize an NBA franchise. That’s impressive.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6