Feb 16, 2011, 8:10 AM EST
Teams are talking trades. Not really seriously, however.
We told you the other day that meaningful trade chatter was down this season and tried to present a few reasons — fear of the unknown of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement and teams not taking on any new salary because of it for one. All the contenders are set or have made their major moves, for another.
He was asked if the seemingly endless dragging out of the Carmelo Anthony trade situation is part of the problem.
“It seems like it. It looked like that deal was going to go down with New Jersey. And then that got held up. I don’t know if it’s still going to go down or something is going to happen with New York or maybe Melo stays there [in Denver], but it does seem to be holding things up a little bit.”
Cho added that usually trades do not go down until the few days before the deadline, so things could still pick up.
In an interview with the Mercury News, Warriors GM Larry Riley said that there is plenty of superficial talk about trades, but few things that seem serious.
But there is something — or somethings — keeping everything in a holding pattern. That doesn’t mean that the trade floodgates are not going to open — ‘Melo deal or not — but talk is certainly reduced this season.
It’s likely a combination of factors, including the Anthony deal holding up conversations about others. If Anthony is traded look for Denver to make some other moves sending out Chauncey Billups and maybe Nene. They will start the rebuilding process fast. That may open up those floodgates a little.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11