Feb 15, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have a better record than the Los Angeles Lakers, but good luck finding someone outside of outside of northeast Texas that thinks they can win a playoff series if the two meet.
Thing is, we still haven’t seen the full, healthy Dallas Mavericks. We don’t know how good they really are.
“For the first time [Monday] at practice, he actually looked great,” said Ian Mahinmi, the Frenchman who has known Guadeloupe-born Beaubois for years when the two played in France together. “On his drive, he looked quick. He looked explosive. So it’s looking good. Obviously, you can tell that he gets winded super fast out there. But as far as moving from left to right and using his speed, it looks great.
“And talking to him on the side, he feels good. He’s not complaining too much about his foot.”
With the suddenly hot J.J. Barea under the weather Beaubois could get as much run as he could handle Wednesday.
The last time we saw Beaubois was when Dallas coach Rick Carlisle finally put him in out of desperation in Game 6 against the Spurs in the playoffs — after not calling his number for five games when the Mavs clearly needed the speed and energy he brings. Beaubois enters and looks great, sparking the Mavs to a chance to win Game 6… so Carlisle benches Beaubois for the fourth quarter. After that game the Mavs went on summer vacation.
But Dallas learned its lesson and Beaubois was going to get a big role this year, maybe start. Then he went and broke his foot and needed surgery.
He’s finally healed and is back. He will get one game before the All-Star break, then another weekend of workouts, then he is back in.
Beaubois brings a level of athleticism and speed nobody else on the Mavs has. Is that enough to push them past the Lakers or Spurs? Maybe not. But the Mavs aren’t going to repeat the same mistakes of last playoffs again.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 8
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 19
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14