Feb 15, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks have a better record than the Los Angeles Lakers, but good luck finding someone outside of outside of northeast Texas that thinks they can win a playoff series if the two meet.
Thing is, we still haven’t seen the full, healthy Dallas Mavericks. We don’t know how good they really are.
“For the first time [Monday] at practice, he actually looked great,” said Ian Mahinmi, the Frenchman who has known Guadeloupe-born Beaubois for years when the two played in France together. “On his drive, he looked quick. He looked explosive. So it’s looking good. Obviously, you can tell that he gets winded super fast out there. But as far as moving from left to right and using his speed, it looks great.
“And talking to him on the side, he feels good. He’s not complaining too much about his foot.”
With the suddenly hot J.J. Barea under the weather Beaubois could get as much run as he could handle Wednesday.
The last time we saw Beaubois was when Dallas coach Rick Carlisle finally put him in out of desperation in Game 6 against the Spurs in the playoffs — after not calling his number for five games when the Mavs clearly needed the speed and energy he brings. Beaubois enters and looks great, sparking the Mavs to a chance to win Game 6… so Carlisle benches Beaubois for the fourth quarter. After that game the Mavs went on summer vacation.
But Dallas learned its lesson and Beaubois was going to get a big role this year, maybe start. Then he went and broke his foot and needed surgery.
He’s finally healed and is back. He will get one game before the All-Star break, then another weekend of workouts, then he is back in.
Beaubois brings a level of athleticism and speed nobody else on the Mavs has. Is that enough to push them past the Lakers or Spurs? Maybe not. But the Mavs aren’t going to repeat the same mistakes of last playoffs again.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 30
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 30
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10