Feb 15, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
Let’s start this rumor report off with the red flags — this comes from long-time rumormonger Sam Smith of Bulls.com, who reports this without saying he got this from a source (thanks Pinstriped Post). Nobody else is reporting this. So please sprinkle liberally with salt.
That said, there is some logic to the idea.
The Magic want some front court help and the Memphis Grizzlies have Zach Randolph in the last year of a deal, and Smith says the Magic are want to talk trade.
The logic is the Magic need some front court help since shipping out Marcin Gortat, and Randolph is an offensive and rebounding machine. For Memphis, they have both Randolph and Marc Gasol coming up as free agents this summer and it will be hard to pay both without paying a luxury tax (or whatever spending punishments will be in a new Collective Bargaining Agreement). This way the Grizzlies could get some talent back rather than just letting Randolph walk at the season’s end.
That’s about where it stops making sense.
For one, Randolph is a defensive liability that would drive Stan Van Gundy crazy. Or, crazier. But since the last round of trades defense has been the bigger problem and inconsistency for the Magic and this trade would not address that in the least. It would make the Magic defense worse.
Next, Randolph will make $17.7 million this season. Smith said the trade would involve “players and picks.” The Magic could do this trade straight up if Memphis would take on Gilbert Arenas, but the Grizzlies are trying to shed some salary, not take on three seasons after this one.
Maybe Jason Richardson and his $14.4 million expiring deal could be the core of a deal. But how does that make the Grizzlies better? Depends on what else can be thrown in. Memphis is in the fight for one of the final playoff seeds in the West (and the playoff game money that would bring in), if they are going to virtually abandon that by trading Randolph you have to give them some quality pieces back. Orlando wants to win a title so they are not giving up a lot of quality.
This seems like a real stretch. But you can see enough logic to make you think the sides would talk it through.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 17
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14