Feb 15, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic’s Pat Williams, one of the better known and more popular NBA executives around the league, has been diagnosed with cancer, the team announced Tuesday.
Williams was the Philadelphia 76ers general manager for a dozen seasons through the 1970s and ‘80s, then went on to be part of the team that founded the Magic.
The team said Williams has multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in blood and bone marrow. It was caught early, which makes doctors optimistic, the team said. He will continue in his roll with the team, including attending games.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 8
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 37
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 13
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 14