Feb 15, 2011, 8:04 PM EST
The Orlando Magic’s Pat Williams, one of the better known and more popular NBA executives around the league, has been diagnosed with cancer, the team announced Tuesday.
Williams was the Philadelphia 76ers general manager for a dozen seasons through the 1970s and ‘80s, then went on to be part of the team that founded the Magic.
The team said Williams has multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in blood and bone marrow. It was caught early, which makes doctors optimistic, the team said. He will continue in his roll with the team, including attending games.
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 8
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 15
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 28
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 20
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 9
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 20
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3