Feb 15, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic’s Pat Williams, one of the better known and more popular NBA executives around the league, has been diagnosed with cancer, the team announced Tuesday.
Williams was the Philadelphia 76ers general manager for a dozen seasons through the 1970s and ‘80s, then went on to be part of the team that founded the Magic.
The team said Williams has multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in blood and bone marrow. It was caught early, which makes doctors optimistic, the team said. He will continue in his roll with the team, including attending games.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 15
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 40
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19