Feb 15, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic’s Pat Williams, one of the better known and more popular NBA executives around the league, has been diagnosed with cancer, the team announced Tuesday.
Williams was the Philadelphia 76ers general manager for a dozen seasons through the 1970s and ‘80s, then went on to be part of the team that founded the Magic.
The team said Williams has multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in blood and bone marrow. It was caught early, which makes doctors optimistic, the team said. He will continue in his roll with the team, including attending games.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6