Feb 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Gregg Popovich has been coasting this year.
He has rolled out the same starting five for 53 of the team’s 54 games (Manu Ginolbili had to miss a game so George Hill started). His rotations have been pretty much the same every night. He’s given the same speeches to the same players so many times he may as well just put a video of himself at the front of the room talking about focusing on defense and rebounding.
At least that’s what it looks like, and Popovich was willing to play along with the San Antonio News Express.
“It’s like I don’t have a job anymore,” Popovich said.
Popovich, it seems, has discovered a downside to a 44-8 record.
“It’s boring as hell,” he said.
The upside? Popovich says the Spurs’ apparent shift to autopilot has freed up more time for his real passions.
“Wine and reading,” Popovich said.
And if you believe any of that, Popovich has a bridge in wine country to sell you. Players say Popovich has been just as engaged this season as last, when he started 25 different lineups and the Spurs had to struggle just to make the playoffs as a seventh seed.
Hey Pops, Byron Scott would be willing to trade his exciting job for yours any time.
Obviously this is just Popovich joking and making a point about staying focused and motivated through the dog days of the season. Popovich pushes, has his team pounding the rock, getting everything ready for the playoffs. And, obviously, he is doing a fantastic job at it.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 15
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 56
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20