Feb 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Gregg Popovich has been coasting this year.
He has rolled out the same starting five for 53 of the team’s 54 games (Manu Ginolbili had to miss a game so George Hill started). His rotations have been pretty much the same every night. He’s given the same speeches to the same players so many times he may as well just put a video of himself at the front of the room talking about focusing on defense and rebounding.
At least that’s what it looks like, and Popovich was willing to play along with the San Antonio News Express.
“It’s like I don’t have a job anymore,” Popovich said.
Popovich, it seems, has discovered a downside to a 44-8 record.
“It’s boring as hell,” he said.
The upside? Popovich says the Spurs’ apparent shift to autopilot has freed up more time for his real passions.
“Wine and reading,” Popovich said.
And if you believe any of that, Popovich has a bridge in wine country to sell you. Players say Popovich has been just as engaged this season as last, when he started 25 different lineups and the Spurs had to struggle just to make the playoffs as a seventh seed.
Hey Pops, Byron Scott would be willing to trade his exciting job for yours any time.
Obviously this is just Popovich joking and making a point about staying focused and motivated through the dog days of the season. Popovich pushes, has his team pounding the rock, getting everything ready for the playoffs. And, obviously, he is doing a fantastic job at it.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay