Feb 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Gregg Popovich has been coasting this year.
He has rolled out the same starting five for 53 of the team’s 54 games (Manu Ginolbili had to miss a game so George Hill started). His rotations have been pretty much the same every night. He’s given the same speeches to the same players so many times he may as well just put a video of himself at the front of the room talking about focusing on defense and rebounding.
At least that’s what it looks like, and Popovich was willing to play along with the San Antonio News Express.
“It’s like I don’t have a job anymore,” Popovich said.
Popovich, it seems, has discovered a downside to a 44-8 record.
“It’s boring as hell,” he said.
The upside? Popovich says the Spurs’ apparent shift to autopilot has freed up more time for his real passions.
“Wine and reading,” Popovich said.
And if you believe any of that, Popovich has a bridge in wine country to sell you. Players say Popovich has been just as engaged this season as last, when he started 25 different lineups and the Spurs had to struggle just to make the playoffs as a seventh seed.
Hey Pops, Byron Scott would be willing to trade his exciting job for yours any time.
Obviously this is just Popovich joking and making a point about staying focused and motivated through the dog days of the season. Popovich pushes, has his team pounding the rock, getting everything ready for the playoffs. And, obviously, he is doing a fantastic job at it.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 6
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 10
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90