Feb 14, 2011, 9:17 PM EDT
But don’t bet on it.
You can expect Anthony to be with the Nuggets — and the Western Conference — through the weekend but the Knicks have picked up the pace in talks, according to Alan Hahn at Newsday.
But although a trade won’t happen this week, the source said the Knicks have “more of a sense of urgency” to get a deal done for the four-time All-Star before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.
“They don’t want to overbid,” the source said, “but they also don’t want to be left without a chair when the music stops.”
Reports have been that the Nuggets want Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Timofey Mozgov, along with multiple first-round picks, from the Knicks. That would involve the Knicks also trading Anthony Randolph to the Timberwolves or another team for a first round pick to make it happen.
Is that too steep a price for a guy that could just become a free agent this summer, come over to the Knicks and sign a contract with them giving up nothing?
On the flip side, can the Nuggets really afford to risk ending up with nothing for Anthony? Have they seen Toronto and Cleveland this season? Should they just call the Nets.
Just a hunch, look for things to move fast and furious next Sunday into Monday (Feb. 20 and 21). Why? Because if Denver moves Anthony they will also look to look hard at trades for Chauncey Billups, J.R. Smith and Nene. They will need some time to pull that off, they can’t just make a deal for Anthony the morning of the trade deadline and be fine. They need a couple of days after moving ‘Melo to do everything else.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29