Feb 13, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
J.R. Smith is an innocent bystander (for once, hey-o!) in all this drama regarding Melo (or…Melodrama, get it?). He’s just trying to go out there and play his best. His play this year has been a big reason the Nuggets, despite all the distractions, are sixth in the West, and feature the best offense in the land. But in an interview with the Denver Post, Smith talked a little bit about the situation in Denver, and his quote was at least a bit revealing.
“I’m in a tough situation,” Smith said. “They don’t really know what they want to do, as far as what direction they want to go in — if they do (trade) Melo or if they don’t. So it’s tough for me in my position because I don’t know where I stand. So, you just have to keep playing it out and see how it looks.”
Now, obviously, J.R. Smith is not going to be in on the talks with the front office regarding whether and where to trade Carmelo Anthony. He’s not “in the loop” on things. But Smith is a Denver player confirming what the situation has looked like for a while… the Nuggets don’t really know what they want to do with Anthony. They don’t have a plan. They kept pushing for more and more assets in the Nets deal, and tore it apart. They have constantly balked at the Knicks, while the Knicks have remained calm, cool, and collected, never losing sight of the fact Melo can sign with them in free agency.
If they had a plan, they’d likely let Smith’s agent know what it was. Smith was said to be on his way out earlier this year before Warkentian and Chapman were fired. The new regime has been more committed to him, but he’s still the same J.R. Fighting with George Karl, doing ridiculous dunks, and probably shooting too much. He’s got value on the trade market, for sure. But with the way Denver’s run things so far, you simply can’t tell how they’re going to proceed with anything.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 0
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10