Celtics Paul Pierce to get MRI on foot

Feb 13, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Orlando Magic, Game 4 Getty Images

Paul Pierce was not Paul Pierce on Sunday, shooting 0-for-10 from the field. We thought it was the wrist on his shooting hand that he sprained Saturday, combined with the fact the Heat’s perimeter defenders are pretty athletic.

But it was more than that — Pierce said after the game he was going to get an MRI on his sore left foot Monday.

It’s precautionary, but still troubling (especially after that shootong performance). The Celtics have been the best team in the East and looked like a team the Heat will struggle to match up with along the front line come the playoffs. (The Celtics won Sunday even with Pierce hurting, Shaq out, Jermaine O’Neal out, and Marquis Daniels out.)

The only thing that might derail that? Injuries. Not just to the role players but to the big four. Always a concern with an older team but one Boston fans didn’t want to think about. They have to now for the next 24 hours.

1. thatdude2309 - Feb 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM

This guy is always faking. He always acts hurt When I think of cry baby NBA players this guy comes to mind first . We don’t want to hear that u r hurt and faking again just say the Heat shut u down and move on to the next game He flops and acts hurt in more games than anyone in the history of sports STOP FAKING !!!!!!!

2. borderline1988 - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Agreed.
    A lot of NBA fans complain of divers in the NBA – like Verajao, Ginobili, etc, guys who take offensive charges and then fall down on any contact.

But there is no bigger flopper on offense in the history of the league than Paul Pierce. Every time he gets stripped, he screams out like he’s been shot.
    Every time he is dribbling the ball and comes around a high screen, he jerks his body like he’s just been body-checked, even though no one touched him. He’s conditioned himself to shout and fall at the slightest touch from a defender, and the refs always bail him out b/c he’s on the Celtics.

It’s embarrassing. I wish the league would stop encouraging him to act like a diva and rewarding him for it. Paul Pierce is the biggest faker in the league. MRI on his foot, my ass. Just get on the court and play like a man.

3. hnirobert3 - Feb 14, 2011 at 7:46 AM

For as tough a guy as he is (getting stabbed 7 or some times 10 years ago), he really is an actress (credit to Q-Rich). I was surprised he didn’t fake an injury yesterday but then I wake up to hear he’s getting an MRI…

• borderline1988 - Feb 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Can I just point out that getting stabbed 7 times has nothing to do with how tough you are. I don’t consider myself ‘tough’ but if someone stabbed me 7 times, suddenly I’m tough?

Being tough is how you react to adversity, not simply the reality of adversity. Paul Pierce could have been stabbed 20 times – does that make him ‘tougher’? Maybe we can describe being tough as playing through pain, or walking off the court when you bruised a knee rather than taking a wheelchair off it.

4. bceltics1010 - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

You tell me what NBA players aren’t actors in their part time jobs?! Seriously people!!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches