Feb 12, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Anyone familiar with Kobe Bryant‘s mythology is aware that he spent a significant amount of his childhood in Italy while his father played ball there. He speaks fluent Italian, and has demonstrated a very real love of the country in past interviews. It turns out he’s so receptive to the country, he’s amiable to the idea of playing in Italy should the NBA lockout keep players out.
From the Los Angeles Times:
“I wouldn’t be opposed to it,” he said Friday. “You know how much I love Italy. I grew up there.”
“I’m not locked into anywhere,” he said, smiling. “I’m locked out. You’ve just got to play it by ear.”
Bryant joins a cavalcade of stars that have said the same over the last few months, including Dirk Nowitzki. The option is attractive, although the real elements of how such an arrangement would be met due to relationships not only with FIBA but other European basketball organizations and the NBA have yet to be determined.
Bryant would unquestionably be able to draw near what his current salary is, since the payoff would be similarly massive for an investor. Bryant is the biggest global star in the NBA, more than even LeBron James, and his ability to create revenue as such would dwarf any other available talent, even as age erodes his game slightly, bit by bit.
But the biggest advantage for Bryant, most likely? He’d be able to continue doing what he loves: destroying other basketball players.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49