Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EST
Parties I want to be invited to include….
The Detroit Piston s are going to retire Dennis Rodman’s No. 10 jersey with a celebratory event April 1, according to Chris Iott at MLive.com. Yes, they are going to retire his jersey on April Fool’s Day, but they’re serious.
Rookie Greg Monroe currently wears the number 10 on the team.
People often remember the late-career freak show and forget that Dennis Rodman is as great a rebounder as the NBA has ever seen. The last two years with the Pistons he averaged more than 18 rebounds a game, grabbing 26 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor those seaons (Kevin Love leads the NBA this season at 23.4 percent). He was a defensive force. He intimidated. He was a key to the back-to-back rings the Detroit Pistons won.
We’ve said before he belongs in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His number also deserves to hang in the rafters at the Palace.
And we need to make sure we are invited to that party. It has “Hangover” potential.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 0
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 24
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)