Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Parties I want to be invited to include….
The Detroit Piston s are going to retire Dennis Rodman’s No. 10 jersey with a celebratory event April 1, according to Chris Iott at MLive.com. Yes, they are going to retire his jersey on April Fool’s Day, but they’re serious.
Rookie Greg Monroe currently wears the number 10 on the team.
People often remember the late-career freak show and forget that Dennis Rodman is as great a rebounder as the NBA has ever seen. The last two years with the Pistons he averaged more than 18 rebounds a game, grabbing 26 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor those seaons (Kevin Love leads the NBA this season at 23.4 percent). He was a defensive force. He intimidated. He was a key to the back-to-back rings the Detroit Pistons won.
We’ve said before he belongs in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His number also deserves to hang in the rafters at the Palace.
And we need to make sure we are invited to that party. It has “Hangover” potential.
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 4
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 5
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 14
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 18
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 35
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 15
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1