Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Parties I want to be invited to include….
The Detroit Piston s are going to retire Dennis Rodman’s No. 10 jersey with a celebratory event April 1, according to Chris Iott at MLive.com. Yes, they are going to retire his jersey on April Fool’s Day, but they’re serious.
Rookie Greg Monroe currently wears the number 10 on the team.
People often remember the late-career freak show and forget that Dennis Rodman is as great a rebounder as the NBA has ever seen. The last two years with the Pistons he averaged more than 18 rebounds a game, grabbing 26 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor those seaons (Kevin Love leads the NBA this season at 23.4 percent). He was a defensive force. He intimidated. He was a key to the back-to-back rings the Detroit Pistons won.
We’ve said before he belongs in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His number also deserves to hang in the rafters at the Palace.
And we need to make sure we are invited to that party. It has “Hangover” potential.
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 0
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 4
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 11
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 3
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3