Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Parties I want to be invited to include….
The Detroit Piston s are going to retire Dennis Rodman’s No. 10 jersey with a celebratory event April 1, according to Chris Iott at MLive.com. Yes, they are going to retire his jersey on April Fool’s Day, but they’re serious.
Rookie Greg Monroe currently wears the number 10 on the team.
People often remember the late-career freak show and forget that Dennis Rodman is as great a rebounder as the NBA has ever seen. The last two years with the Pistons he averaged more than 18 rebounds a game, grabbing 26 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor those seaons (Kevin Love leads the NBA this season at 23.4 percent). He was a defensive force. He intimidated. He was a key to the back-to-back rings the Detroit Pistons won.
We’ve said before he belongs in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His number also deserves to hang in the rafters at the Palace.
And we need to make sure we are invited to that party. It has “Hangover” potential.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 8
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 28
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85