Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Parties I want to be invited to include….
The Detroit Piston s are going to retire Dennis Rodman’s No. 10 jersey with a celebratory event April 1, according to Chris Iott at MLive.com. Yes, they are going to retire his jersey on April Fool’s Day, but they’re serious.
Rookie Greg Monroe currently wears the number 10 on the team.
People often remember the late-career freak show and forget that Dennis Rodman is as great a rebounder as the NBA has ever seen. The last two years with the Pistons he averaged more than 18 rebounds a game, grabbing 26 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor those seaons (Kevin Love leads the NBA this season at 23.4 percent). He was a defensive force. He intimidated. He was a key to the back-to-back rings the Detroit Pistons won.
We’ve said before he belongs in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. His number also deserves to hang in the rafters at the Palace.
And we need to make sure we are invited to that party. It has “Hangover” potential.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10