Feb 11, 2011, 5:26 PM EST
This last tour around the NBA for Phil Jackson has not really been all that filled with fanfare. Probably because he insulted every city he’s been in, then his teams went out and generally stomped the opponent. Not the way one generates a lot of love.
But Madison Square Garden, that’s different.
That’s where he played and won a title as a Knick. That was home to some epic clashes with his Chicago Bulls. That is where his Lakers have put on some shows. That’s where his Lakers are Friday night. Where he may be for the last time.
Which brings us to a great piece of reporting by Howard Beck of the New York Times to sit down with Jackson and talk about those memories.
“As many great games have been played there, I think I’ve been in a ton of them,” Jackson said Wednesday, reminiscing (but only a little) over lunch. “It’s probably the most familiar building I have in my history as a player and coach…”
New York is different — “a magical place to live,” Jackson said — and the Garden represents more than basketball. (Kobe) Bryant understands it. Over the years he has heard Jackson tell countless stories, some funny, some poignant, about his Knicks days. This trip to the Garden will be different.
“He’ll never show it because he’s always a coach that stays in the present,” Bryant said of Friday’s visit. “But I’m sure it means something to him.”
Jackson tends to come off as detached from the world, but there are things that mean a lot to him. New York does. Madison Square Garden does. And so the usual distance Jackson keeps may be closed a little tonight as his Lakers take on the Knicks.
Do yourself a favor, go read the entire NYT story. It’s great stuff.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)