Feb 11, 2011, 11:26 AM EST
We all get it Knicks fans, you want Carmelo Anthony. You’re convinced he is the next piece of the puzzle. And so long as that puzzle isn’t defense, we agree with you.
People 3,000 miles away know you want ‘Melo. The brass in Denver knows you want ‘Melo. Donnie Walsh and James Dolan know you want ‘Melo. Mike D’Antoni knows you want ‘Melo.
So stop asking.
D’Antoni asked Knicks fans to stop chanting “We Want Me-Lo” at home games, as reported by ESPNNewYork.
“It’s not good. There’s no doubt about it,” D’Antoni said. “It affects some of the players without a doubt.”
To satiate your Carmelo appetite, here is where the rumors stand today:
The Lakers are not now (and really never seriously were) in the game. Nobody really believes ‘Melo wants to sign an extension in Denver if he’s not traded either Marc Stein reports at ESPN.
So the Knicks are sitting back with their low-ball offer (Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry and if the Timberwolves are in a first round pick) figuring they have the upper hand. They still think they get both Carmelo and Chris Paul a year from now, according to ESPNNewYork. That forces Denver to play it out and risk getting nothing back, or….
Call the Nets? They talk about it in the New York Post and I’ll just say nobody around the league would be shocked if the Nets come back into the game — but on their terms this time.
Just a guess, expect a trade All-Star weekend or the Monday after. And if it happens, look for Denver to make a series of quick moves before the deadline with other veteran players going out the door and they start to rebuild.
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 50
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 12
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 5