Feb 11, 2011, 11:26 AM EST
We all get it Knicks fans, you want Carmelo Anthony. You’re convinced he is the next piece of the puzzle. And so long as that puzzle isn’t defense, we agree with you.
People 3,000 miles away know you want ‘Melo. The brass in Denver knows you want ‘Melo. Donnie Walsh and James Dolan know you want ‘Melo. Mike D’Antoni knows you want ‘Melo.
So stop asking.
D’Antoni asked Knicks fans to stop chanting “We Want Me-Lo” at home games, as reported by ESPNNewYork.
“It’s not good. There’s no doubt about it,” D’Antoni said. “It affects some of the players without a doubt.”
To satiate your Carmelo appetite, here is where the rumors stand today:
The Lakers are not now (and really never seriously were) in the game. Nobody really believes ‘Melo wants to sign an extension in Denver if he’s not traded either Marc Stein reports at ESPN.
So the Knicks are sitting back with their low-ball offer (Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry and if the Timberwolves are in a first round pick) figuring they have the upper hand. They still think they get both Carmelo and Chris Paul a year from now, according to ESPNNewYork. That forces Denver to play it out and risk getting nothing back, or….
Call the Nets? They talk about it in the New York Post and I’ll just say nobody around the league would be shocked if the Nets come back into the game — but on their terms this time.
Just a guess, expect a trade All-Star weekend or the Monday after. And if it happens, look for Denver to make a series of quick moves before the deadline with other veteran players going out the door and they start to rebuild.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 4
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11