Feb 11, 2011, 8:44 PM EST
There has become a “Deron Williams pushed Jerry Sloan out” meme going around.
Which is a very Internet way of trying to make a complex situation some kind of simple narrative. D-Will was part of the equation but there is a lot more going on here.
“People need to leave D-Will the [expletive] alone on this,” Kobe Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday night. Bryant and Williams have competed in the Western Conference for years and won an Olympic gold medal together for USA Basketball at the 2008 Beijing Games. “Leave him alone. He doesn’t deserve to be at the front of this. That’s horse…. He’s a great competitor. He works his butt off. He’s always been a great leader. He’s clutch, performs under pressure. Enjoy the 23 great years that Jerry Sloan gave them, but don’t put this on Deron Williams.”
Was Williams happy? No. Did concerns of management about losing Williams in a couple years play into this? Yes. Did Sloan decide to walk away rather than fight this battle anymore? Almost certainly. You can decide how much of what fit in where, those are your basic ingredients. But Kobe is right, t’s not so simple as “Williams drove out Sloan.”
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 6
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)