Feb 11, 2011, 8:44 PM EST
There has become a “Deron Williams pushed Jerry Sloan out” meme going around.
Which is a very Internet way of trying to make a complex situation some kind of simple narrative. D-Will was part of the equation but there is a lot more going on here.
“People need to leave D-Will the [expletive] alone on this,” Kobe Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday night. Bryant and Williams have competed in the Western Conference for years and won an Olympic gold medal together for USA Basketball at the 2008 Beijing Games. “Leave him alone. He doesn’t deserve to be at the front of this. That’s horse…. He’s a great competitor. He works his butt off. He’s always been a great leader. He’s clutch, performs under pressure. Enjoy the 23 great years that Jerry Sloan gave them, but don’t put this on Deron Williams.”
Was Williams happy? No. Did concerns of management about losing Williams in a couple years play into this? Yes. Did Sloan decide to walk away rather than fight this battle anymore? Almost certainly. You can decide how much of what fit in where, those are your basic ingredients. But Kobe is right, t’s not so simple as “Williams drove out Sloan.”
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39