Feb 11, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
There has become a “Deron Williams pushed Jerry Sloan out” meme going around.
Which is a very Internet way of trying to make a complex situation some kind of simple narrative. D-Will was part of the equation but there is a lot more going on here.
“People need to leave D-Will the [expletive] alone on this,” Kobe Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday night. Bryant and Williams have competed in the Western Conference for years and won an Olympic gold medal together for USA Basketball at the 2008 Beijing Games. “Leave him alone. He doesn’t deserve to be at the front of this. That’s horse…. He’s a great competitor. He works his butt off. He’s always been a great leader. He’s clutch, performs under pressure. Enjoy the 23 great years that Jerry Sloan gave them, but don’t put this on Deron Williams.”
Was Williams happy? No. Did concerns of management about losing Williams in a couple years play into this? Yes. Did Sloan decide to walk away rather than fight this battle anymore? Almost certainly. You can decide how much of what fit in where, those are your basic ingredients. But Kobe is right, t’s not so simple as “Williams drove out Sloan.”
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28