Feb 11, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Remember the debate last week about whether or not Kobe Bryant is clutch? With the numbers saying he and he Lakers are really just slightly above average in that situation?
Kobe’s been down that road before and had an answer when asked about it by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
“People kind of get bored with things that I’ve done, so they try to find new ones to talk about or try to find numbers to justify certain things,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. “That’s what happens when you win. I remember Magic and Michael [Jordan] going through similar things. Hey, the talk before was that I couldn’t do it without Shaq. Well I did that. And then I did it again. Now it’s something else. They’re always going to come for something else.
“But I win. We win….”
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
I wouldn’t bet against Kobe in the clutch. It would be nice though if he got that shot out of an offensive set with screens and off-ball movement rather than in isolation shooting over three defenders.
- Phil Jackson says he has not heard from Carmelo, has tried to recruit Gasol 14
- With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade? 17
- Reports: LeBron James and agent done meeting with teams 79
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract 46
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 43
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 86
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 42
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 32