Feb 10, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
It was a wide-open transition three, where the form was perfect. It seemed fitting.
With 1:45 left in the first quarter Allen took the pass from Rajon Rondo in transition, set his feet and had a wide open look, knocking down his 2,561st three pointer as a professional.
That moved him past Reggie Miller into the all-time lead.
Miller was at the game as an analyst for TNT and at the next break in the action Allen came over gave Miller a hug.
It felt like a coronation for Allen, a man with maybe as pure a shooting form as the league has ever seen. Allen is a career 39.8 percent shooter from three and his hitting 46.2 percent from deep this season.
Allen got his first three from straight away with 4:48 left in the first half when Kevin Garnett kicked out of the post to Allen nearly straight away and knocked it down over a late Derek Fisher close out (he had floated off Allen down to a no man’s land).
Allen had 12 points in the first quarter as the Celtics were up early on the Lakers.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte