Feb 10, 2011, 11:57 AM EDT
In the games leading up to the Cavaliers record in futility — 25 consecutive losses in a row — there were a lot of things you could pick apart about the Cavs: The lack of guys who can create their own shot, the lack of rebounding, the poor execution, the non-existent interior defense, and so on and so on.
But you couldn’t question the effort. Certainly motivated by not wanting to be part of history, the Cavs played hard. That wasn’t enough, but the effort was there.
Until Wednesday. Cleveland laid an egg against a beatable Pistons team. Coach Byron Scott, for the first time in a long time, went off on his team, as reported by the Plain Dealer.
“I’m mad as hell because … I can deal with losing, especially when our guys play as hard as they have in the last couple weeks,” he said. “But I find it very hard to deal with when guys don’t come out ready to play.”
“I thought we took a gigantic step backwards and it was all because of lack of effort,” the coach said. “We had no sense of urgency whatsoever, and that kind of amazes me. When we’ve lost as many in a row as we lost and when you’ve been as close as we’ve been in the last four or five games and to be at home and come out the way we came out — that amazes me.”
Next up for the Cavaliers, the Los Angeles Clippers, who have been playing better of late — and are far, far more athletic up front than Cleveland — but are still a team the Cavs could beat. Then Sunday is the “toilet bowl” — the 0-25 on the road Washington Wizards come to town. Circle your calendars for that. It promises to be, um, amazing. Maybe amazing like a car wreck, but amazing.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85