Feb 9, 2011, 8:15 AM EST
We went over the ways we didn’t think it made sense for the Lakers to trade for Carmelo Anthony — they take on much more salary and give up their defensive anchor when the team needs to focus on getting stops.
The Lakers do not intend to trade Bynum, at 23 their one youthful building block for the future and still coveted by Lakers vice president Jim Buss despite chronic knee problems. The organization’s basketball decisions are increasingly being made by Buss on behalf of his father, Lakers owner Jerry Buss.
The Lakers have had previous Anthony-related discussions, but not only are the Lakers resistant to trading Bynum, they have no intention of adding a salary such as Anthony’s. He would average more than $20 million per season in his extension if acquired and signed, and the Lakers already are uneasy that their league-high payroll is bloated now and into the future.
Also, apparently the Nuggets asked about Pau Gasol for Anthony as well, but the Lakers said no once they caught their breath from laughing so hard.
Most likely, leaking this could be the Nuggets trying to get themselves leverage in talks with the Knicks. But the Lakers are not playing that game. They are thinking title and thinking Bynum.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)