Feb 9, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
But it was a rules violation.
Watch it again. Love never comes out of bounds after grabbing the ball (following a made shot), he just gets one foot out of bounds and hurls it. It led to a twitter discussion last night with friend-of-the-site Brett Pollakoff questioning if that was legal.
Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated’s Point Forward called the league today and, no. Should have been called back. Here is the relevant part of the NBA rulebook on inbounds passes.
“Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line.”
No way Love did that.
But that may be the most violated rule in the NBA rulebook. (Go ahead an insert your traveling joke here, if you must.) Guys are over that line, not taking the ball all the way out and a host of other violations nightly.
But after this, don’t be shocked if there is a sudden crackdown. As for now, Love gets a sweet assists.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9