Feb 9, 2011, 2:49 PM EST
But it was a rules violation.
Watch it again. Love never comes out of bounds after grabbing the ball (following a made shot), he just gets one foot out of bounds and hurls it. It led to a twitter discussion last night with friend-of-the-site Brett Pollakoff questioning if that was legal.
Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated’s Point Forward called the league today and, no. Should have been called back. Here is the relevant part of the NBA rulebook on inbounds passes.
“Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line.”
No way Love did that.
But that may be the most violated rule in the NBA rulebook. (Go ahead an insert your traveling joke here, if you must.) Guys are over that line, not taking the ball all the way out and a host of other violations nightly.
But after this, don’t be shocked if there is a sudden crackdown. As for now, Love gets a sweet assists.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12