Feb 9, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
But it was a rules violation.
Watch it again. Love never comes out of bounds after grabbing the ball (following a made shot), he just gets one foot out of bounds and hurls it. It led to a twitter discussion last night with friend-of-the-site Brett Pollakoff questioning if that was legal.
Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated’s Point Forward called the league today and, no. Should have been called back. Here is the relevant part of the NBA rulebook on inbounds passes.
“Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line.”
No way Love did that.
But that may be the most violated rule in the NBA rulebook. (Go ahead an insert your traveling joke here, if you must.) Guys are over that line, not taking the ball all the way out and a host of other violations nightly.
But after this, don’t be shocked if there is a sudden crackdown. As for now, Love gets a sweet assists.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38