Feb 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EST
Since day one of the ‘Melodrama, whenever Carmelo Anthony has been asked if he would sign with Denver he has said it was one of the options he would consider.
That’s not what his people — the fine folks from CAA, for example — were saying privately to the Nuggets and everyone else. They said he was gone. But publicly, ‘Melo has been able to ply the good guy (kinda).
@carmeloanthony said after shootaround he would “take a real hard look at” signing extension w/Nuggets if not dealt by trade deadline.
That follows out of this report from the Denver Post Wednesday:
Those close to the situation say there is a better-than-average chance Anthony will not be dealt until after the season.
What does all that mean? It means Carmelo Anthony likes money. I get that, I think we all do. It means that if he doesn’t get traded he has to decide if giving up tens of millions in guaranteed contract money is worth it to go to New York. His people have said he would. He probably will. But it’s one thing to say you’re going to walk away from tens of millions (no matter how much bank you have) and another to actually do it.
More importantly, however, throw this comment and report on top of the Andrew Bynum trade rumor (not going to happen) on the “let’s motivate the Knicks to kick in more” pile. The Nuggets want more than Wilson Chandler and a pick. There will probably be more such tactics. And Donnie Walsh will continue to ignore it all. Denver’s leverage left the building.
I’m breaking out the good scotch to celebrate when this trade finally goes down and I don’t have to write about it any more.
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 3
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 5
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5