Feb 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
Since day one of the ‘Melodrama, whenever Carmelo Anthony has been asked if he would sign with Denver he has said it was one of the options he would consider.
That’s not what his people — the fine folks from CAA, for example — were saying privately to the Nuggets and everyone else. They said he was gone. But publicly, ‘Melo has been able to ply the good guy (kinda).
@carmeloanthony said after shootaround he would “take a real hard look at” signing extension w/Nuggets if not dealt by trade deadline.
That follows out of this report from the Denver Post Wednesday:
Those close to the situation say there is a better-than-average chance Anthony will not be dealt until after the season.
What does all that mean? It means Carmelo Anthony likes money. I get that, I think we all do. It means that if he doesn’t get traded he has to decide if giving up tens of millions in guaranteed contract money is worth it to go to New York. His people have said he would. He probably will. But it’s one thing to say you’re going to walk away from tens of millions (no matter how much bank you have) and another to actually do it.
More importantly, however, throw this comment and report on top of the Andrew Bynum trade rumor (not going to happen) on the “let’s motivate the Knicks to kick in more” pile. The Nuggets want more than Wilson Chandler and a pick. There will probably be more such tactics. And Donnie Walsh will continue to ignore it all. Denver’s leverage left the building.
I’m breaking out the good scotch to celebrate when this trade finally goes down and I don’t have to write about it any more.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 2
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 5
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 16
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34