Feb 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
Since day one of the ‘Melodrama, whenever Carmelo Anthony has been asked if he would sign with Denver he has said it was one of the options he would consider.
That’s not what his people — the fine folks from CAA, for example — were saying privately to the Nuggets and everyone else. They said he was gone. But publicly, ‘Melo has been able to ply the good guy (kinda).
@carmeloanthony said after shootaround he would “take a real hard look at” signing extension w/Nuggets if not dealt by trade deadline.
That follows out of this report from the Denver Post Wednesday:
Those close to the situation say there is a better-than-average chance Anthony will not be dealt until after the season.
What does all that mean? It means Carmelo Anthony likes money. I get that, I think we all do. It means that if he doesn’t get traded he has to decide if giving up tens of millions in guaranteed contract money is worth it to go to New York. His people have said he would. He probably will. But it’s one thing to say you’re going to walk away from tens of millions (no matter how much bank you have) and another to actually do it.
More importantly, however, throw this comment and report on top of the Andrew Bynum trade rumor (not going to happen) on the “let’s motivate the Knicks to kick in more” pile. The Nuggets want more than Wilson Chandler and a pick. There will probably be more such tactics. And Donnie Walsh will continue to ignore it all. Denver’s leverage left the building.
I’m breaking out the good scotch to celebrate when this trade finally goes down and I don’t have to write about it any more.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 26
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25