Feb 9, 2011, 4:25 PM EST
Since day one of the ‘Melodrama, whenever Carmelo Anthony has been asked if he would sign with Denver he has said it was one of the options he would consider.
That’s not what his people — the fine folks from CAA, for example — were saying privately to the Nuggets and everyone else. They said he was gone. But publicly, ‘Melo has been able to ply the good guy (kinda).
@carmeloanthony said after shootaround he would “take a real hard look at” signing extension w/Nuggets if not dealt by trade deadline.
That follows out of this report from the Denver Post Wednesday:
Those close to the situation say there is a better-than-average chance Anthony will not be dealt until after the season.
What does all that mean? It means Carmelo Anthony likes money. I get that, I think we all do. It means that if he doesn’t get traded he has to decide if giving up tens of millions in guaranteed contract money is worth it to go to New York. His people have said he would. He probably will. But it’s one thing to say you’re going to walk away from tens of millions (no matter how much bank you have) and another to actually do it.
More importantly, however, throw this comment and report on top of the Andrew Bynum trade rumor (not going to happen) on the “let’s motivate the Knicks to kick in more” pile. The Nuggets want more than Wilson Chandler and a pick. There will probably be more such tactics. And Donnie Walsh will continue to ignore it all. Denver’s leverage left the building.
I’m breaking out the good scotch to celebrate when this trade finally goes down and I don’t have to write about it any more.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18