Feb 9, 2011, 1:49 PM EST
Now we get to see what wunderkind Daryl Morey can really do.
When he came in as general manager of the Rockets the goal was to put together a good group of role players to go around stars Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. Morey did that — the Rockets have maybe the best collection of role players in the NBA. It was the bodies of McGrady and Yao that let everyone down.
Now, Yao is done. It’s time to rebuild and restructure this team. Morey has good players on reasonable contracts, expiring deals and draft picks he can move.
And according to Richard Justice at the Houston Chronicle, Morey is working it hard to make deals.
Everyone on the Rockets’ roster is available as the NBA’s February 24th trading deadline approaches, but some are more likely to go than others.
For instance, Shane Battier. He’s a poster boy for what we’d want every professional athlete to be. Morey likes Battier as much as the rest of us, but this is where real life sticks its ugly mug in.
Battier is exactly the kind of player good teams love. He brings two ingredients — defense and smarts – in short supply, and he’s a 10-year veteran in the final year of his contract.
The Rockets aren’t going to make moves just to make moves. It has to be about rebuilding. About steps back to the top (even if those are temporary steps backward). We’ll see how Morey goes about this, about just how good he is when the whiteboard has been erased and he can draw whatever he wants.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 27
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 3
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 29
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10