Feb 9, 2011, 1:49 PM EST
Now we get to see what wunderkind Daryl Morey can really do.
When he came in as general manager of the Rockets the goal was to put together a good group of role players to go around stars Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. Morey did that — the Rockets have maybe the best collection of role players in the NBA. It was the bodies of McGrady and Yao that let everyone down.
Now, Yao is done. It’s time to rebuild and restructure this team. Morey has good players on reasonable contracts, expiring deals and draft picks he can move.
And according to Richard Justice at the Houston Chronicle, Morey is working it hard to make deals.
Everyone on the Rockets’ roster is available as the NBA’s February 24th trading deadline approaches, but some are more likely to go than others.
For instance, Shane Battier. He’s a poster boy for what we’d want every professional athlete to be. Morey likes Battier as much as the rest of us, but this is where real life sticks its ugly mug in.
Battier is exactly the kind of player good teams love. He brings two ingredients — defense and smarts – in short supply, and he’s a 10-year veteran in the final year of his contract.
The Rockets aren’t going to make moves just to make moves. It has to be about rebuilding. About steps back to the top (even if those are temporary steps backward). We’ll see how Morey goes about this, about just how good he is when the whiteboard has been erased and he can draw whatever he wants.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10