Feb 9, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
If Marquis Daniels had not suffered a freakish, scary injury last week, the Boston Celtics very likely would have ridden out the trade deadline and watched every other team try to match what they already have. Right now, Boston is the rabbit every team is trying to catch (even San Antonio, Boston scares teams more come the playoffs).
“We may be looking at the trade deadline to make a move,” Ainge said. “And not just for the short term. We’ll see how Marquis does. I like our team. But the Marquis situation could give us something to think about at the perimeter. We’ll just have to see where he is.”
Boston doesn’t have to make a deal, they are in a position of strength. But if a nice, affordable back-up three becomes available….
A deal would not be easy to make. Obviously nobody in the core of this team can be touched. Nobody sane is going to take Jermaine O’Neal, who has another year at $6.2 million after this one (unless you can sweeten the deal). They might have to consider moves if someone would take a Von Wafer or Semih Erden, or maybe even Delonte West. None of those guys is going to bring back a lot, but if they can get a decent backup three that can give them 12 minutes a night, Ainge has to consider it.
He has now said he will.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9