Feb 8, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
Spike Lee is an institution at Knicks games, sitting courtside rocking the Landry Fields jersey. Jawing back and forth with players. Talking smack.
This is really surprising, and this is all true. The only time that it’s ever really gotten nasty was with Reggie Miller. But we were friends before that and we’ve been friends since then. When I go to the games, it’s to have fun. I’m respectful. If I say a player missed a shot, that’s not talking about your mother, your family; it’s all good nature. The players enjoy talking to me and I enjoy talking to them.
But this last time against Boston — you know that game where they disallowed Stoudemire’s 3? — Kevin Garnett lost it. He was cursing me out for no reason. Maybe because Stoudemire gave him 39 points, but take that vulgarity to Stoudemire. I’m not holding you and I did not even say s— to Garnett the whole game. That really surprised me. He lost it. He was cursing at me the whole game. He needs to calm the f— down.
Even Celtics fans are coming around to the fact KG is a jerk on the court (“but he’s our jerk”). Great player. Great energy. Tremendously talented. Intense. But he walks across the line plenty.
Now a Knicks/Celtics rivalry. That is good for all of us.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 16
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14