Spike Lee thinks Kevin Garnett needs to calm down

Feb 8, 2011, 9:55 AM EST

Washington Wizards v New York Knicks Getty Images

Spike Lee is an institution at Knicks games, sitting courtside rocking the Landry Fields jersey. Jawing back and forth with players. Talking smack.

And it’s all in good fun. Well, except when Kevin Garnett was in town recently, Lee said to ESPNNewYork. That guy lost it.

This is really surprising, and this is all true. The only time that it’s ever really gotten nasty was with Reggie Miller. But we were friends before that and we’ve been friends since then. When I go to the games, it’s to have fun. I’m respectful. If I say a player missed a shot, that’s not talking about your mother, your family; it’s all good nature. The players enjoy talking to me and I enjoy talking to them.

But this last time against Boston — you know that game where they disallowed Stoudemire’s 3? — Kevin Garnett lost it. He was cursing me out for no reason. Maybe because Stoudemire gave him 39 points, but take that vulgarity to Stoudemire. I’m not holding you and I did not even say s— to Garnett the whole game. That really surprised me. He lost it. He was cursing at me the whole game. He needs to calm the f— down.

Even Celtics fans are coming around to the fact KG is a jerk on the court (“but he’s our jerk”). Great player. Great energy. Tremendously talented. Intense. But he walks across the line plenty.

Now a Knicks/Celtics rivalry. That is good for all of us.

1. hnirobert3 - Feb 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Garnett’s a fake tough guy.

• pff - Feb 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

LOL

2. sknut - Feb 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Its funny when KG was on the Wolves I didn’t want to believe he was a jerk, once he left you could see that he was a jerk, funny how team loyalties do that to fans.

3. delfi2 - Feb 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM

KG is an ass. Think he is going through an inferiority issue. He realizes the Celtics have one more shot, at best, to win the title. He sees all of these teams in the East who are making wholesale changes to make a serious run at the ‘ship and HE FEELS the PRESSURE!!! Only one ‘ship for the Big Three. ha bean town sucks

4. bbgraf08 - Feb 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM

KG is a jerk, but I have no problem with him giving the business to Spike. This article conveniently leaves out the fact that Spike was running around the court like the Knicks had just beaten the Celtics.

5. metalhead65 - Feb 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM

wonder how spike would feel if fans could watch him film and got say respectful things about his job?wouldn’t be me cause his movies suck anyway.

6. BC - Feb 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I think Spike Lee needs to calm down. And stop trying to pretend he’s relevant any more.

7. welcometothemachine16 - Feb 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM

News flash most good players are jerks. Do you think Micheal Jordan wasn’t a jerk or kobe and lebron aren’t jerks. Garnett is a player who every body hates but would love to have him on their team. I think spike lee is the one that needs to calm down. He is the one who looks like an ass running on the court jumping up and down like he is the one that won the game for the knicks. Also, the reason they disallowed the three is because the clock ran out before he got the shot up. Spike just might have been blinded by the delusion that the knicks beat the best team in the east and might have a chance to win a championship.

• bceltics1010 - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM

AGREED! The old man needs to calm down and let the players play instead of trying to run his mouth. I love KG and I would be talking crap right back to Spike. I don’t see Spike out there playing, so he needs to stick to what he’s good at, and we all know what that is!

• hnirobert3 - Feb 9, 2011 at 8:05 AM

there’s a different between being a jerk and being a bully. who does kg pick on? spike lee, jose barea, charlie villanueva and jose calderon? big guy. mj took entire teams on, even his best friends off the court, kobe’s a prick with everyone and lbj went into cleveland and took an entire state on. kg… he picks on smaller guys.

8. gvgv - Feb 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM

KG in my opinion is the biggest ass in sports. I used to love his game, but his antics now will always supersede anything good he does on the court. It amazes me that he is allowed to get away with as much as he does. Do us all a favor and retire.

• bbgraf08 - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Good point! Let’s have one of the best players in basketball retire!

9. davidly - Feb 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I’d rather have Rodman on my team.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches