Feb 8, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
Already there is speculation about what Dwight Howard is going to do in the summer of 2012, with a report that he wants to find a way to the Knicks or Lakers.
Dwight Howard himself is sick of it. He tweeted this:
“I never said I wanted to leave stop reading the rumors. It’s really stupid. And annoying to be honest. They tryna make something outta nothing I have another yr under my contract before I can sign”
The Orlando Sentinel echoes that sentiment, that Howard is tired of rumors when he hasn’t come close to deciding what he’ll do in a year and a half. And his point is valid.
But with what is happening with Carmelo Anthony changes the dynamic for Howard and other upcoming superstar free agents (Chris Paul, Deron Williams and others are in the same boat for 2012). Anthony told his team what was up the summer before he could opt out of his contract. There will be building pressure on Howard after the season ends to do the same thing. If he plans on bolting he needs to tell the Magic so they can get something for him.
Of course, there is the little issue that by the time the next season starts — or even the next trading deadline — Howard may not have decided what to do. He certainly is fond of Orlando, but there other factors involved. Including a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that has yet to be figured out.
All of this is to say: Sorry Dwight. The rumors are only going to keep growing and growing until you sign a contract. Wherever that may be.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 7
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 15
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5