Feb 8, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
Already there is speculation about what Dwight Howard is going to do in the summer of 2012, with a report that he wants to find a way to the Knicks or Lakers.
Dwight Howard himself is sick of it. He tweeted this:
“I never said I wanted to leave stop reading the rumors. It’s really stupid. And annoying to be honest. They tryna make something outta nothing I have another yr under my contract before I can sign”
The Orlando Sentinel echoes that sentiment, that Howard is tired of rumors when he hasn’t come close to deciding what he’ll do in a year and a half. And his point is valid.
But with what is happening with Carmelo Anthony changes the dynamic for Howard and other upcoming superstar free agents (Chris Paul, Deron Williams and others are in the same boat for 2012). Anthony told his team what was up the summer before he could opt out of his contract. There will be building pressure on Howard after the season ends to do the same thing. If he plans on bolting he needs to tell the Magic so they can get something for him.
Of course, there is the little issue that by the time the next season starts — or even the next trading deadline — Howard may not have decided what to do. He certainly is fond of Orlando, but there other factors involved. Including a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that has yet to be figured out.
All of this is to say: Sorry Dwight. The rumors are only going to keep growing and growing until you sign a contract. Wherever that may be.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 1
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 16
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)