Feb 8, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
Already there is speculation about what Dwight Howard is going to do in the summer of 2012, with a report that he wants to find a way to the Knicks or Lakers.
Dwight Howard himself is sick of it. He tweeted this:
“I never said I wanted to leave stop reading the rumors. It’s really stupid. And annoying to be honest. They tryna make something outta nothing I have another yr under my contract before I can sign”
The Orlando Sentinel echoes that sentiment, that Howard is tired of rumors when he hasn’t come close to deciding what he’ll do in a year and a half. And his point is valid.
But with what is happening with Carmelo Anthony changes the dynamic for Howard and other upcoming superstar free agents (Chris Paul, Deron Williams and others are in the same boat for 2012). Anthony told his team what was up the summer before he could opt out of his contract. There will be building pressure on Howard after the season ends to do the same thing. If he plans on bolting he needs to tell the Magic so they can get something for him.
Of course, there is the little issue that by the time the next season starts — or even the next trading deadline — Howard may not have decided what to do. He certainly is fond of Orlando, but there other factors involved. Including a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that has yet to be figured out.
All of this is to say: Sorry Dwight. The rumors are only going to keep growing and growing until you sign a contract. Wherever that may be.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15