Feb 8, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Already there is speculation about what Dwight Howard is going to do in the summer of 2012, with a report that he wants to find a way to the Knicks or Lakers.
Dwight Howard himself is sick of it. He tweeted this:
“I never said I wanted to leave stop reading the rumors. It’s really stupid. And annoying to be honest. They tryna make something outta nothing I have another yr under my contract before I can sign”
The Orlando Sentinel echoes that sentiment, that Howard is tired of rumors when he hasn’t come close to deciding what he’ll do in a year and a half. And his point is valid.
But with what is happening with Carmelo Anthony changes the dynamic for Howard and other upcoming superstar free agents (Chris Paul, Deron Williams and others are in the same boat for 2012). Anthony told his team what was up the summer before he could opt out of his contract. There will be building pressure on Howard after the season ends to do the same thing. If he plans on bolting he needs to tell the Magic so they can get something for him.
Of course, there is the little issue that by the time the next season starts — or even the next trading deadline — Howard may not have decided what to do. He certainly is fond of Orlando, but there other factors involved. Including a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that has yet to be figured out.
All of this is to say: Sorry Dwight. The rumors are only going to keep growing and growing until you sign a contract. Wherever that may be.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85