Feb 8, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Already there is speculation about what Dwight Howard is going to do in the summer of 2012, with a report that he wants to find a way to the Knicks or Lakers.
Dwight Howard himself is sick of it. He tweeted this:
“I never said I wanted to leave stop reading the rumors. It’s really stupid. And annoying to be honest. They tryna make something outta nothing I have another yr under my contract before I can sign”
The Orlando Sentinel echoes that sentiment, that Howard is tired of rumors when he hasn’t come close to deciding what he’ll do in a year and a half. And his point is valid.
But with what is happening with Carmelo Anthony changes the dynamic for Howard and other upcoming superstar free agents (Chris Paul, Deron Williams and others are in the same boat for 2012). Anthony told his team what was up the summer before he could opt out of his contract. There will be building pressure on Howard after the season ends to do the same thing. If he plans on bolting he needs to tell the Magic so they can get something for him.
Of course, there is the little issue that by the time the next season starts — or even the next trading deadline — Howard may not have decided what to do. He certainly is fond of Orlando, but there other factors involved. Including a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that has yet to be figured out.
All of this is to say: Sorry Dwight. The rumors are only going to keep growing and growing until you sign a contract. Wherever that may be.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 5
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games