Feb 7, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
And we thought the hiring of Mark Warkentien director of pro personnel was a sign of stability coming to the New York Knicks. Silly us. We should know better.
Warkentien’s contract ends July 1, according to Frank Isola at the New York Daily News.
If you’re paranoid — and if you live in New York you’re paranoid by nature — you could see this as a sign that owner James Dolan could clear the decks for a return to Isiah Thomas. Current president of basketball operations (read: GM) Donnie Walsh has to have his contract extended by April 30 or his deal expires at the end of this season, too. It’s easy to see how the unthinkable happens.
More realistically, Walsh will get his deal picked up and Warkentien’s will be extended. That is, unless another team fires their GM and comes calling for Warkentien. Having the contract expire July 1 gives both sides flexibility. But as crazy as things get in New York it’s hard to see the two sides really parting ways.
Walsh deserves the chance to hang on. He has not been perfect for the Knicks, but he did as good a job as can be expected for what he inherited from Thomas. He has gotten the payroll down to provide flexibility going after free agents, he brought in Amar’e Stoudemire and Raymond Felton. They’ve had some good draft picks (Landry Fields). The Knicks are not great but they’re above .500 and respectable, and that is a huge step forward.
When you make those kind of steps, you deserve the chance to take the next one. Which is what any logical franchise would do, go with some stability. But this is the Knicks, so know knows? We all could just be silly.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6