Feb 7, 2011, 5:11 PM EST
And we thought the hiring of Mark Warkentien director of pro personnel was a sign of stability coming to the New York Knicks. Silly us. We should know better.
Warkentien’s contract ends July 1, according to Frank Isola at the New York Daily News.
If you’re paranoid — and if you live in New York you’re paranoid by nature — you could see this as a sign that owner James Dolan could clear the decks for a return to Isiah Thomas. Current president of basketball operations (read: GM) Donnie Walsh has to have his contract extended by April 30 or his deal expires at the end of this season, too. It’s easy to see how the unthinkable happens.
More realistically, Walsh will get his deal picked up and Warkentien’s will be extended. That is, unless another team fires their GM and comes calling for Warkentien. Having the contract expire July 1 gives both sides flexibility. But as crazy as things get in New York it’s hard to see the two sides really parting ways.
Walsh deserves the chance to hang on. He has not been perfect for the Knicks, but he did as good a job as can be expected for what he inherited from Thomas. He has gotten the payroll down to provide flexibility going after free agents, he brought in Amar’e Stoudemire and Raymond Felton. They’ve had some good draft picks (Landry Fields). The Knicks are not great but they’re above .500 and respectable, and that is a huge step forward.
When you make those kind of steps, you deserve the chance to take the next one. Which is what any logical franchise would do, go with some stability. But this is the Knicks, so know knows? We all could just be silly.
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 5
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)