Feb 7, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
Houston is at a crossroads — the plan of a team based around Yao Ming crumbled around the big man’s ankles and they have to figure out what is next.
With that, they have done the smart thing and not offered any contract extensions to the six potential free agents on the roster. Flexibility, that’s the buzzword.
Add to that list coach Rick Adelman, who has done a good job with the pieces given him. His contract expires at the end of the season, too. But he told the Houston Chronicle he’s not too worried about it.
“It sounds like the whole league doesn’t know what it is going to do at the end of the year,” Adelman, 64, said. “I’m not going to worry about that. I’ve been doing this long enough.
“The only thing you can worry about is (to) see what you can do with this team in these last 30 games. I mean, that’s my main concern.
“Whatever happens in the future, I’m not feeling bad one way or another. I’m just going to do the job this year and see what happens when it’s over.”
Whatever happens with Houston, Adelman would have job opportunities presented to him. He’s had success wherever he’s been. Well, not Golden State but there were other issues there we don’t really want to choke on again.
But whatever direction the Rockets go, they’re not likely to find a better coach than Adelman.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 9
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 2
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 45
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 28
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 21
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (79)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay