Feb 7, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Smart move by the Dallas Mavericks, making Peja Stojakovic active for a scrimmage in his first game. That way there is no pressure on him.
Stojakovic was signed by the Mavericks Jan. 24, just days after he was bought out by the Raptors, and also just days after Caron Butler went down for the season leaving Dallas looking for more guys to play the three. However, he has been sidelined with knee issues since the signing.
There seem to be high expectations for what Stojakovic can bring to the Mavericks at the three. Oddly. This is a guy who in the past two seasons couldn’t get regular time on the Hornets or Raptors. He can still shoot the three ball — 48.4 percent in limited opportunities this season, 37.5 percent last season — but what else can he bring? Will he be able to defend well enough to stay on the floor? Can he put the ball on the floor, do any shot creation that Butler brought to the Mavs.
At least there won’t be a lot of pressure on him in his first outing.
- Memphis’ defense, discipline propel them past Thunder in overtime lead series 2-1 0
- Hawks take a 2-1 series lead over top-seeded Pacers 13
- Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat 44
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 49
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 11