Feb 7, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Smart move by the Dallas Mavericks, making Peja Stojakovic active for a scrimmage in his first game. That way there is no pressure on him.
Stojakovic was signed by the Mavericks Jan. 24, just days after he was bought out by the Raptors, and also just days after Caron Butler went down for the season leaving Dallas looking for more guys to play the three. However, he has been sidelined with knee issues since the signing.
There seem to be high expectations for what Stojakovic can bring to the Mavericks at the three. Oddly. This is a guy who in the past two seasons couldn’t get regular time on the Hornets or Raptors. He can still shoot the three ball — 48.4 percent in limited opportunities this season, 37.5 percent last season — but what else can he bring? Will he be able to defend well enough to stay on the floor? Can he put the ball on the floor, do any shot creation that Butler brought to the Mavs.
At least there won’t be a lot of pressure on him in his first outing.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48