Feb 7, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Smart move by the Dallas Mavericks, making Peja Stojakovic active for a scrimmage in his first game. That way there is no pressure on him.
Stojakovic was signed by the Mavericks Jan. 24, just days after he was bought out by the Raptors, and also just days after Caron Butler went down for the season leaving Dallas looking for more guys to play the three. However, he has been sidelined with knee issues since the signing.
There seem to be high expectations for what Stojakovic can bring to the Mavericks at the three. Oddly. This is a guy who in the past two seasons couldn’t get regular time on the Hornets or Raptors. He can still shoot the three ball — 48.4 percent in limited opportunities this season, 37.5 percent last season — but what else can he bring? Will he be able to defend well enough to stay on the floor? Can he put the ball on the floor, do any shot creation that Butler brought to the Mavs.
At least there won’t be a lot of pressure on him in his first outing.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 7
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 7
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 19