Feb 5, 2011, 7:57 AM EDT
It’s good to be the Knicks right now. Sure on the court too, where they are the best they’ve been in a decade. But we were talking in the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes, where the Knicks appear to have all the winning numbers.
A new report by Marc Spears of Yahoo confirms that.
Several sources told Yahoo! Sports that Carmelo Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, has recently begun informing teams that the All-Star forward is interested in signing a contract extension with only the New York Knicks. The stance has weakened the Denver Nuggets’ leverage in trying to deal Anthony, not only to other teams, but also the Knicks.
The sources said the Knicks don’t feel pressed to present a substantial trade offer to the Nuggets because they think they can also sign Anthony after the season if he opts out of his contract, as expected.
Yes, please take this with a grain of salt, or maybe a whole shaker full. We’ve heard variations of this report before (usually out of New York sources), but there seems a real truth to it now. Especially since the Nets pulled out of the game — and we’ll never know if Anthony would have signed there, he wanted to be wooed but Denver management tried to drive such a hard bargain that Mikhail Prokhorov killed it before he got to the wooing part.
When the Nets were on the table the Nuggets had some leverage and the Knicks’ Donnie Walsh was motivated to get a first-round pick to sweeten any trade. Now? Why bother? Take what we offer you or we can just sign him this summer. What is the point of moving good role players to get Anthony now if you can have Anthony and the role players next season?
Nothing is going to happen imminently. There are three weeks left until the trading deadline, and that can be an eternity. The landscape can shift a couple times between now and then.
But right now the Knicks know they are the only game in town, and Denver has to play with them or not at all. And if Denver management looks up and sees the losing streaks in Toronto and Cleveland right now, they will decide they have no choice but to play.
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 10
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 53
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 57
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46