Feb 5, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT
So when the Jazz played the Nuggets Friday night, Raja Bell decided to bury himself in the cerebral cortex of one J.R. Smith. Granted, it’s not really like that’s the toughest nut to crack. J.R. can shoot the rock, but he leaks crazy out of his head like a fire hydrant. So once Bell got into it, and the Jazz started winning, it was really only a matter of time until this happened:
So the league isn’t really down with that kind of geyser of crazy. So they dished out a $25,000 fine to Smith to try and put a cork in that crazy spill. It’s similar to what BP used to stop the oil spill. (That is not what is called a true statement.)
Smith’s played pretty well for the Nuggets who are still, miraculously, in the playoffs, despite the distraction of Carmelo Anthony‘s situation. But Smith has always been this kind of a dynamite stick, which is why Warkentian and Chapman were close to trading him before they were booted. This one incident doesn’t prove anything and it doesn’t take away from his considerable value. But it does serve as a reminder.
Smith is not the calm, cool, collected assassin off the bench, and you can get into his head.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20