Feb 5, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT
So when the Jazz played the Nuggets Friday night, Raja Bell decided to bury himself in the cerebral cortex of one J.R. Smith. Granted, it’s not really like that’s the toughest nut to crack. J.R. can shoot the rock, but he leaks crazy out of his head like a fire hydrant. So once Bell got into it, and the Jazz started winning, it was really only a matter of time until this happened:
So the league isn’t really down with that kind of geyser of crazy. So they dished out a $25,000 fine to Smith to try and put a cork in that crazy spill. It’s similar to what BP used to stop the oil spill. (That is not what is called a true statement.)
Smith’s played pretty well for the Nuggets who are still, miraculously, in the playoffs, despite the distraction of Carmelo Anthony‘s situation. But Smith has always been this kind of a dynamite stick, which is why Warkentian and Chapman were close to trading him before they were booted. This one incident doesn’t prove anything and it doesn’t take away from his considerable value. But it does serve as a reminder.
Smith is not the calm, cool, collected assassin off the bench, and you can get into his head.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 4
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4