Suns Alvin Gentry: I lost a little respect for Kevin Garnett

Feb 4, 2011, 9:04 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Remember a week ago when Kevin Garnett pulled a couple bush-league moves, tapping Channing Frye in the, um, groin area and stepping under him as he came down from a jump shot? Both moves intended to bully and intimidate. Both pretty cheap. He got ejected for it (but no suspension).

Alvin Gentry remembers, and said told 620 KTAR’s Gambo and Ash (via Arizona Sports) that he thinks less of KG now because of it.

“I used to be a big fan of [Kevin Garnett],” he said. “Some of the antics he’s pulled lately, you don’t need to do that as a star player. I’ve never seen Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or even a Dwyane Wade do that….”

“You can compete and play hard, that doesn’t need to be a part of it. It really doesn’t,” he said. “To do that to someone you can seriously hurt him,” he said. “You know the fact that all of a sudden Channing comes down on his foot twice on jump shots that’s a very dangerous play.

“If you’re asking me, yeah, I lost a little respect for him. I love his competitive nature but there is no place for what he was doing in our game.”

If you think we are done with this, remember that the Suns travel to Boston on March 2. So no, it will come up again.

1. thestudiokida - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

The Celtics will be okay; just keep Garnett away from potential weapons. With his intensity he’d be liable to stab Paul Pierce in the face… God forbid.

2. loungefly74 - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM

no surprise…KG has had the label of a “school yard” bully for a long time. he is more bark than bite.

3. hnirobert3 - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Bosh is a fake tough guy but KG cursing and picking on Channing Frye, Jose Calderon and Charlie Villanueva makes him a tough guy? The last true tough guy in the NBA was Charles Oakley. As Simmons wrote in his book after speaking with someone who knew Oak personally, he just “dont give a f***.”

• secdominance - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM

KG seems to be one of those guys who if he’s on your team you’ll deny a lot of things he does but if he’s an opponent you see what kind of a-hole he really is

• hnirobert3 - Feb 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Oh, no doubt. I’d take him on my team right now (not sure if I’d want him over Bosh because of the injuries, but I’d think about it). I love him as a player but he’s an absolute s-bag.

4. Fred - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Someone really needs to blast Kevin Garnett with an elbow to the jaw and let him know he’s not the toughest guy on the block. That, or show him game films of the 2004 Western Conference Finals.

5. mytthor - Feb 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I’ll combine two of these comments; if Oakley was still in the league, or Dale Davis, or maybe young Shaq (on another team), Garnett would have been put on the ground enough to realize what a b**** he is. Or maybe he would have actually developed some toughness, who knows. I didn’t see any of this when guys like Malone were still in the league. Give him some credit. He’s in a league where the best big men in the game are nice-guys Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan, or finesse guys like Nowitski or Gasol. Why not perpetrate like you’re a real intimidator? Who’s going to shut you up, Al Horford?

6. mdpickles - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM

He’s only acting that way because Shaq has his back. Dwight Howard would clobber both at the same time.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards