Feb 4, 2011, 9:58 AM EST
Not only does Knicks GM Donnie Walsh not have his contract extension picked up in spite of the team’s turn around on the court (and in payroll), but Walsh hasn’t even really talked about the situation with James Dolan, the Knicks owner. The two haven’t talked about the team, its resurgence or a contract. Nothing.
But Dolan is still talking to Isiah Thomas, according to a New York Post report.
According to an NBA source, the reason Dolan has not acted on Walsh’s contract is he still has the former disgraced president Thomas on his radar, still speaks to him regularly and still is considering bringing him back in the future….
The NBA source told The Post what’s preventing Dolan from committing to Walsh is not health, but Thomas’ unyielding desire to return. The NBA source said Dolan talks to Thomas more than once a week regarding Knicks issues and does not care about the fan outrage that will occur if he eventually brings him back in some capacity.
This is what happens in a vacuum of actual information. Dolan hasn’t spoken to the press in four years and when Knicks PR people are asked about it there is no comment.
Does that mean that Walsh is out and Thomas could be back in? No. It means we don’t have any idea. But based on Dolan’s love of being contrarian and his known friendship with Thomas, speculation starts to fly. We don’t know what Dolan is thinking, so it could be anything. Maybe Dolan wants to bring Thomas back in some capacity, maybe not.
But this is on Dolan for allowing the rumors space to breathe and grow. And if he doesn’t pick up the extension on Walsh’s contract, he’s a worse owner than we thought. Which is saying something.
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 0
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 44
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 22