Feb 4, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Not only does Knicks GM Donnie Walsh not have his contract extension picked up in spite of the team’s turn around on the court (and in payroll), but Walsh hasn’t even really talked about the situation with James Dolan, the Knicks owner. The two haven’t talked about the team, its resurgence or a contract. Nothing.
But Dolan is still talking to Isiah Thomas, according to a New York Post report.
According to an NBA source, the reason Dolan has not acted on Walsh’s contract is he still has the former disgraced president Thomas on his radar, still speaks to him regularly and still is considering bringing him back in the future….
The NBA source told The Post what’s preventing Dolan from committing to Walsh is not health, but Thomas’ unyielding desire to return. The NBA source said Dolan talks to Thomas more than once a week regarding Knicks issues and does not care about the fan outrage that will occur if he eventually brings him back in some capacity.
This is what happens in a vacuum of actual information. Dolan hasn’t spoken to the press in four years and when Knicks PR people are asked about it there is no comment.
Does that mean that Walsh is out and Thomas could be back in? No. It means we don’t have any idea. But based on Dolan’s love of being contrarian and his known friendship with Thomas, speculation starts to fly. We don’t know what Dolan is thinking, so it could be anything. Maybe Dolan wants to bring Thomas back in some capacity, maybe not.
But this is on Dolan for allowing the rumors space to breathe and grow. And if he doesn’t pick up the extension on Walsh’s contract, he’s a worse owner than we thought. Which is saying something.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 12
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 63
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30