Feb 4, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
Well, this is certainly strange. Here’s the report, courtesy of the Associated Press’ Kyle Hightower:
Orlando guard Gilbert Arenas has been served with child support and custody papers as he was leaving the court during halftime of a Magic game.
A process server stopped Arenas as he walked off the court Thursday night against the Miami Heat. The court documents, obtained by The Associated Press, were a California petition filed by Laura Mendoza Govan. She identifies herself as his ex-girlfriend in the documents.
The petition seeks custody and child support for three children that Govan says Arenas fathered and has since “financially cut off.” She is also seeking support for another unborn child.
A hearing in the case has been set for March 8 in Los Angeles. Orlando plays at Sacramento on March 9.
Arenas and the Magic are playing at Washington Friday night.
In case you’re wondering, six of Arenas’ 10 points against the Heat came in the second half. Arenas has been something of a disappointment since joining the Magic, and it looks like he’s having some off-court troubles along with his on-court problems. We will keep you updated on this story as it develops.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48