Feb 4, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
Well, this is certainly strange. Here’s the report, courtesy of the Associated Press’ Kyle Hightower:
Orlando guard Gilbert Arenas has been served with child support and custody papers as he was leaving the court during halftime of a Magic game.
A process server stopped Arenas as he walked off the court Thursday night against the Miami Heat. The court documents, obtained by The Associated Press, were a California petition filed by Laura Mendoza Govan. She identifies herself as his ex-girlfriend in the documents.
The petition seeks custody and child support for three children that Govan says Arenas fathered and has since “financially cut off.” She is also seeking support for another unborn child.
A hearing in the case has been set for March 8 in Los Angeles. Orlando plays at Sacramento on March 9.
Arenas and the Magic are playing at Washington Friday night.
In case you’re wondering, six of Arenas’ 10 points against the Heat came in the second half. Arenas has been something of a disappointment since joining the Magic, and it looks like he’s having some off-court troubles along with his on-court problems. We will keep you updated on this story as it develops.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement