Feb 4, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
Well, this is certainly strange. Here’s the report, courtesy of the Associated Press’ Kyle Hightower:
Orlando guard Gilbert Arenas has been served with child support and custody papers as he was leaving the court during halftime of a Magic game.
A process server stopped Arenas as he walked off the court Thursday night against the Miami Heat. The court documents, obtained by The Associated Press, were a California petition filed by Laura Mendoza Govan. She identifies herself as his ex-girlfriend in the documents.
The petition seeks custody and child support for three children that Govan says Arenas fathered and has since “financially cut off.” She is also seeking support for another unborn child.
A hearing in the case has been set for March 8 in Los Angeles. Orlando plays at Sacramento on March 9.
Arenas and the Magic are playing at Washington Friday night.
In case you’re wondering, six of Arenas’ 10 points against the Heat came in the second half. Arenas has been something of a disappointment since joining the Magic, and it looks like he’s having some off-court troubles along with his on-court problems. We will keep you updated on this story as it develops.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 14
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 55
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73