Feb 4, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
“It’s all publicity and hype,’’ Miller said (of Griffin). “The league don’t appreciate the blue collar workers. They don’t appreciate that. They make their money off the high-flyers … That’s a slap in the face to (Aldridge).’’
What particularly irked Miller, who is in his 12th NBA season, is the selection of Griffin, the Clippers rookie. Griffin is averaging 23.0 points and 12.7 rebounds.
“They are putting this guy on every ESPN highlight. Yeah, it’s cool because fans want to see that, but you isolate him from his team,’’ Miller said. “Especially … he ain’t made nobody better. It’s basically his rookie year, as an All-Star? LeBron James didn’t make an All-Star team as a rookie.’’
Remember that Miller was suspended for a game — ending his 632 consecutive games played streak – when Miller intentionally ran into Griffin when the two teams played earlier this season. Miller said he was standing up for himself after Griffin had twice pushed him in the back.
You know why Griffin is in and Aldridge is out? Because Griffin is having a better season. And he is making guys better.
Griffin is shooting 51.7 percent this season, Aldridge is at 48.7 percent, which is why Griffin is scoring a couple more points per game. Griffin is also grabbing a higher percentage of rebounds when he is on the floor. More to Miller’s point Griffin is also a better passer and nearly double the percentage of his possessions end up in an assist as compared to Aldridge. Summed up — Aldridge has a good (borderline All-Star) PER of 20,8, but Griffin is at a much higher at 23.3.
Griffin is more than highlight dunks. He has the quickest spin move out of the post in the league. His midrange jumper has become good enough that you have to respect it. He plays physical defense. Rookie or no, he’s a legit All-Star.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16