Feb 4, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
“It’s all publicity and hype,’’ Miller said (of Griffin). “The league don’t appreciate the blue collar workers. They don’t appreciate that. They make their money off the high-flyers … That’s a slap in the face to (Aldridge).’’
What particularly irked Miller, who is in his 12th NBA season, is the selection of Griffin, the Clippers rookie. Griffin is averaging 23.0 points and 12.7 rebounds.
“They are putting this guy on every ESPN highlight. Yeah, it’s cool because fans want to see that, but you isolate him from his team,’’ Miller said. “Especially … he ain’t made nobody better. It’s basically his rookie year, as an All-Star? LeBron James didn’t make an All-Star team as a rookie.’’
Remember that Miller was suspended for a game — ending his 632 consecutive games played streak – when Miller intentionally ran into Griffin when the two teams played earlier this season. Miller said he was standing up for himself after Griffin had twice pushed him in the back.
You know why Griffin is in and Aldridge is out? Because Griffin is having a better season. And he is making guys better.
Griffin is shooting 51.7 percent this season, Aldridge is at 48.7 percent, which is why Griffin is scoring a couple more points per game. Griffin is also grabbing a higher percentage of rebounds when he is on the floor. More to Miller’s point Griffin is also a better passer and nearly double the percentage of his possessions end up in an assist as compared to Aldridge. Summed up — Aldridge has a good (borderline All-Star) PER of 20,8, but Griffin is at a much higher at 23.3.
Griffin is more than highlight dunks. He has the quickest spin move out of the post in the league. His midrange jumper has become good enough that you have to respect it. He plays physical defense. Rookie or no, he’s a legit All-Star.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50