Feb 3, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:12 pm: Not but a few minutes after we posted this did the report come out (via the Times-Picayune) that Ariza will be out about two weeks.
To fill in the roster space, forward Sasha Pavlovic was signed by the Hornets to a 10-day deal. Pavlovic just came off a 10-day contract with the Dallas Mavericks and has had cups of coffee with other NBA teams in the past few years. This will be a short term signing for depth until Ariza can return.
Afterwards words like “severe” sprain and out “indefinitely” were used by the New Orleans Times-Picayune to describe Ariza’s fate. While the official MRI results are not back yet, it looks as if Ariza could be out for a while.
Ariza has started 50 games for the Hornets this season and while he gives them 11.2 points per game (on just 39.4 percent shooting) it is on the other end of the floor he will be missed — Ariza has been the Hornets best wing defender. Without him their strong defense — third in the league in defensive efficiency — could take a hit.
The Hornets will be without Ariza as well as starting center Emeka Okafor for at least a couple weeks as he has a strained oblique.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85