Feb 3, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:12 pm: Not but a few minutes after we posted this did the report come out (via the Times-Picayune) that Ariza will be out about two weeks.
To fill in the roster space, forward Sasha Pavlovic was signed by the Hornets to a 10-day deal. Pavlovic just came off a 10-day contract with the Dallas Mavericks and has had cups of coffee with other NBA teams in the past few years. This will be a short term signing for depth until Ariza can return.
Afterwards words like “severe” sprain and out “indefinitely” were used by the New Orleans Times-Picayune to describe Ariza’s fate. While the official MRI results are not back yet, it looks as if Ariza could be out for a while.
Ariza has started 50 games for the Hornets this season and while he gives them 11.2 points per game (on just 39.4 percent shooting) it is on the other end of the floor he will be missed — Ariza has been the Hornets best wing defender. Without him their strong defense — third in the league in defensive efficiency — could take a hit.
The Hornets will be without Ariza as well as starting center Emeka Okafor for at least a couple weeks as he has a strained oblique.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 28
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16