Kobe Bryant tells critics to kiss his a–

Feb 3, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Jerry West. Magic Johnson. Seemingly every fan on a Lakers message board for the past week. Kobe Bryant has a message for you.

He was asked in a post-practice reporters scrum Wednesday about the criticism the team has had and the rumors of trades to motivate the team, and his response (captured by Lakers.com) was about as honest and direct as it gets.

“Don’t know, don’t care. People that criticize can kiss my a–. I don’t give a s—. I really don’t. I keep the train moving, we’re going to keep on moving, and in June, they’ll say nothing. But now, it’s good talk.”

Kobe may be the only Laker who can tell one guy with a statue in front of Staples Center and another who gets one in two weeks (Magic and West) to kiss his, um, backside. I’d say Kobe is mad at them, but I’ll take him at his word that he really doesn’t care.

He’s right in a sense. The Lakers have been easy targets to criticize of late, but ask the coaches and players on other teams and they still expect the Lakers to put it together. That happens when you’ve got two rings in two years and three straight finals appearances. The Lakers have been there before, they know what it takes to get there, and it’s not even the All-Star break yet.

Still, the Lakers have not looked as good as the other elite teams this season. That is a fact that invites criticism, rings or no.

Thursday the Lakers take on the Spurs in a game those critics see as another big test. It remains to be seen how the Lakers see it.

1. otisls - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I am not a Lakers fan but Kobe is right!

2. Craig Adams - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I am a Laker fan. Kobe is right.

3. loungefly74 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I love it! kobe is the man. yeah, he should say that to whoever. there is still A LOT of basketball to be played.

4. zblott - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Take a look at an in-depth look at the Lakers’ chances of three-peating:

5. goforthanddie - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I like Kobe more every day.

6. whtsand - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Only Kobe could say that and get away with it! Love it!
    Take it to the Spurs tonight!!!!!!

7. willhnic - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Kobe has no class. No professionalism. He should say he doesn’t care as the results will speak for themselves. I can agree with that. As for the criticism…it is warranted at the moment. The Lakers don’t look like they are playing their best basketball.

• sixers25 - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM

I mean he’s a professional basketball player. Not a doctor or lawyer. Basketball is a game of adrenaline, anger and trash talk in addition to its’ artistry. If you look at the things Michael Jordan did or said over his career they are not classy. Magic, Isiah, and Larry all said and did things that aren’t “classy” or “professional” by the standards of the average professional person. But their behaviors reflect what made them great “professional” basketball players.

8. trimaster1 - Feb 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

It’s true that they haven’t been playing their best ball. They look very uninspired. In defense of them, they have had a long couple of seasons. Three long seasons actually. they’re probably tired. They’re not going to go all out until playoff time, and at that time they will be a serious threat. I’m sure Magic & West know that.

But at the same time, Kobe should learn a little diplomacy. But then again, he doesn’t care. Just like after he retires, he will be an afterthought because his personality sucks.

And because WE don’t care about HIM.

He may be a great player, but he’ll never be as well liked or respected as Magic & West because his attitude sucks.

• sixers25 - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Dude he has five rings right now. All of the kids who are going to be the NBA season ticket holders, sports writers, bloggers and w/e the hell else there will be 20 years from now will remember how great a player Kobe was and still love him.

• hnirobert3 - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Even though they didn’t play against each other while they were both in their primes, I believe, 20-30 years from now, Kobe will be looked at in the same way that people look at Wilt compared to MJ being looked at like Russell.

• trimaster1 - Feb 7, 2011 at 3:25 PM

he does have 5 rings and just might get 1 or 2 more. But what people will remember is his personality too. He comes off as very aloof. Kobe will vanish from the public eye and be an afterthought, thanks to his peronality.

Time will tell.

9. 1historian - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I am

• 1historian - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I had just started a reply when the damn machine stopped me and said I had already said something like that.

?

10. 1historian - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Kobe – way to go. And I am NOT a Lakers fan, nor will I ever be. I hope the Celts whip their butts in June, but I like Kobe for saying what he did.

Which brings to mind a story. Back around 1970 or so Mayor Richard the First of Chicago of the House of Daley was embroiled in a bit of a scandal about patronage, which is the Chicago Way, as we all know,. At least it was a scandal to the press, but Da Mayor disagreed – to him it was no big deal. Nevertheless the press kept making a big deal out of it and then (finally) he lost patience.

Quoth he to a reporter – “I’ll see you at the Christmas party and I’ll be wearing mistletoe on my backside.” (I’m not sure that’s how he said it but you get my drift.)

I always liked that. And I was NOT a Mayor Daley fan.

11. progress2011 - Feb 4, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I guess he still has a ” thing for a_ _ ! After the case in Colorado, he can’t get it out of his mind. So, now he wants to have the practice performed on him. What a sick young man. He needs therapy before the salad tossing starts !

12. Charles L. Freeman - Feb 4, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Whenever Lakers star Kobe Bryant makes comments like this when responding to a reporter’s question, I can’t help but think of a kid raised in the wealthy suburbs of Philadelphia trying to sound like a tough guy.

• hnirobert3 - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Same with the tattoos. Where were his tattoos before the Colorado incident? He’s trying to get his street cred up.

13. 1historian - Feb 4, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Let me repeat that I am NOT a Lakers fan, but they WILL be ready in June.

14. fouldwimmerlaik - Feb 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I want to kiss Kobe’s a$$. I want to kiss Kobe’s a$$. May I?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches