Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
Jason Williams didn’t like being the fourth point guard on the depth chard in Orlando — despite being so close to Epcot — so we’ll see how he likes being the backup in Memphis.
Williams will compete for the backup PG spot with rookie Greivis Vasquez.
Frankly, the move is a little curious in that Williams is nearing the end of his career and it would make more sense to get minutes for Vasquez so that he can develop more quickly to be a quality backup for Mike Conley. But this is the Grizzlies. Reportedly Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has always been a fan of Williams and was not happy that Jerry West traded him six years ago from Memphis to Miami. He’s tried several times to get him back.
Now he has succeeded. Williams had stalled the process both debating whether he wanted to continue playing and also hoping a contender would step in and request his services. Turns out he does want to play and Memphis is a team making a playoff push in the West.
- Hawks cruise to underwhelming Game 1 win over Nets 3
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 15
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10