Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
Jason Williams didn’t like being the fourth point guard on the depth chard in Orlando — despite being so close to Epcot — so we’ll see how he likes being the backup in Memphis.
Williams will compete for the backup PG spot with rookie Greivis Vasquez.
Frankly, the move is a little curious in that Williams is nearing the end of his career and it would make more sense to get minutes for Vasquez so that he can develop more quickly to be a quality backup for Mike Conley. But this is the Grizzlies. Reportedly Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has always been a fan of Williams and was not happy that Jerry West traded him six years ago from Memphis to Miami. He’s tried several times to get him back.
Now he has succeeded. Williams had stalled the process both debating whether he wanted to continue playing and also hoping a contender would step in and request his services. Turns out he does want to play and Memphis is a team making a playoff push in the West.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 22
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 71
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 53
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4