Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 AM EST
Jason Williams didn’t like being the fourth point guard on the depth chard in Orlando — despite being so close to Epcot — so we’ll see how he likes being the backup in Memphis.
Williams will compete for the backup PG spot with rookie Greivis Vasquez.
Frankly, the move is a little curious in that Williams is nearing the end of his career and it would make more sense to get minutes for Vasquez so that he can develop more quickly to be a quality backup for Mike Conley. But this is the Grizzlies. Reportedly Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has always been a fan of Williams and was not happy that Jerry West traded him six years ago from Memphis to Miami. He’s tried several times to get him back.
Now he has succeeded. Williams had stalled the process both debating whether he wanted to continue playing and also hoping a contender would step in and request his services. Turns out he does want to play and Memphis is a team making a playoff push in the West.
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 16
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 30
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 7
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 41