Feb 3, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
Some time before May 1 — so three months from now — New York Knicks owner James Dolan has to pick up (or not) the contract for Knicks GM Donnie Walsh for next year.
Because Dolan never speaks to the media (not in four years) and because his decisions in the past have not all been logical (to put it kindly), there is starting to be speculation the Knicks will let Walsh walk. Which would be asinine as it is Walsh who pulled the team out of the incredibly deep Isiah Thomas hole and has them respectable again.
But the New York media abhors a vacuum so without information you get speculation.
Walsh himself isn’t playing that game, he told Alan Hahn at Newsday he was embarrassed by all this coverage of him.
“I’m more worried about the trading deadline, I’m more worried about the team, I’m more worried about a lot of things,” he said. “So I really haven’t thought about it. It’s been generated from below, from the press. I mean, I’m looking for a grassy knoll with some of the stuff I’m reading now.”
Walsh went on to add, “I don’t believe any of it” regarding the reports that Knicks owner James Dolan is not certain he wants to bring Walsh back and, of course, the fears that Isiah Thomas still has Dolan’s ear and may try to push Walsh out and reclaim his position running the franchise.
“The one thing I do know about Jim Dolan is he’s honest,” Walsh said. “So I don’t believe any of this stuff. I think he’ll deal with me honestly . . . So I don’t have any problem with anything, period.”
Which is exactly what Walsh should say. Keep your head down and don’t try to play the martyr, be kind to the owner — your boss — and say that you’re just focused on doing your job.
We, however, can say whatever we want. So let’s be clear about this:
If Dolan doesn’t pick up Walsh’s deal he’ll threaten to move past Donald Sterling into the worst owner in the NBA spot.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4