Feb 3, 2011, 1:39 PM EDT
Just a few hours before Blake Griffin wins the Dunk Contest on Feb. 19, a bunch of guys who want their NBA shot will get a turn in the spotlight. Sort of.
The D-League All-Star game is part of the All-Star weekend festivities and is taking place next door to Staples Center at the NBA All-Star Jam Session. The Jam session is the official fan event attached to the All-Star Game (there are all sorts of unofficial ones at nightclubs across Los Angeles, but those are a little different and involve expensive vodkas).
Serious NBA fans will recognize a lot of the names on the D-League All-Star roster — most of these guys were drafted and have had a cup of coffee at least in the NBA. If you don’t know them, learn them because these are the guys most likely to get call ups to the NBA in the coming months.
Selected to the D-League All-Star East tea, were Chris Johnson (Dakota Wizards), Ivan Johnson and Garrett Temple (Erie BayHawks), Walker Russell Jr. (Fort Wayne Mad Ants), Othyus Jeffers, Courtney Sims and Curtis Stinson (Iowa Energy), DeShawn Sims (Maine Red Claws), Patrick Ewing Jr. and Dexter Pittman (Sioux Falls Skyforce). Chosen to the D-League All-Star West team were Marcus Cousin (Austin Toros), Trey Johnson (Bakersfield Jam), Shane Edwards (New Mexico Thunderbirds), Jeff Adrien and Mustafa Shakur (Rio Grande Valley Vipers), Joe Alexander and Sean Williams (Texas Legends), Larry Owens and Zabian Dowdell (Tulsa 66ers) and Orien Greene (Utah Flash).
Not sure this exhibition will have that much more defense than the actual NBA All-Star Game the next day. Well, if it has any defense it will have more than the NBA game. So we can root for that.
The game starts at 5 p.m. Eastern and can be seen on NBA TV.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 40
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 60
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 19
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 39
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3