Feb 2, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
Maybe it’s LeBron James and the Heat. Maybe it’s traditional powers like the Lakers and Celtics being in the mix. Maybe it’s young stars like Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin. Maybe it’s having the Knicks relavent again in New York.
Through 32 games, the NBA on TNT is averaging a 1.5 U.S. household rating (+25% vs. 1.2 for last year’s corresponding coverage); 2,325,000 total viewers (+31% vs. 1,774,000); and 1,730,000 households (+28% vs. 1,348,000).
Ratings also are up for NBA TV’s Tuesday night game. Attendance has been up slightly this season as well.
Those are great numbers heading into the post Super Bowl sports landscape. It’s right about the NBA All-Star game when the causal sports fan starts paying a lot more attention to the NBA — this year that buzz started early and ratings could go higher than they have in a long time.
The league is building up a lot of momentum it can kill with the coming lockout.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'