Feb 2, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
Maybe this report is part of a planned smokescreen. Pistons fans should hope it is.
The whole Hamilton thing makes sense. Of course the Pistons want to move the declining Hamilton. Of course nobody wants to take on the $25 million he is owed for two seasons after this. Not with a new and unknown Collective Bargaining Agreement looming out there. The three-team Carmelo Anthony trade was their best hope and when that died the chances of moving Rip dropped faster than auto stocks in the past five years.
But not moving Prince would be a mistake.
He has value both as a player and an expiring $11.1 million expiring deal. At age 30 he can still be a plus defender on the wing, and is scoring a career high 14.6 points per game and is shooting well from everywhere (including 38.9 percent from three). A lot of teams can use him. The Pistons need to rebuild, they need young players and picks. Trading Prince can get them that, they’d be foolish to hold on to him and let him walk as a free agent.
A lot of times a rumor like this is a team’s way of saying, “stop lowballing us, if you want a good player come with a good offer.” Maybe that’s the game here. Let’s hope so because moving Prince can be a big first step in remaking the Pistons.
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 5
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 28
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 1
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 7
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (92)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay