Feb 2, 2011, 3:16 AM EDT
UPDATE Feb. 2, 3:16 am: It’s official, they are stuck and spending an extra night in Sacramento. They will try to get home Wednesday.
“We would have preferred to go further East, just so we can get closer to our time zone,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “At the end of the day, we just need rest. So I told them let’s just stay.”
Feb. 1, 10:57 pm: Every time an NBA team heads out West on a road trip, they beg the team managers to spend an extra night in Sacramento. Forget Los Angeles or San Francisco, any time they can spend an extra night in the vacant-at-night downtown or out on the quiet delta, NBA players are down for it.
So you know the Celtics must be thrilled that the massive snowstorm racking much of the Midwest may leave them stranded an extra night in Sacramento as they cannot get back to Boston. That’s what Doc Rivers said was likely to happen before the Celtics took on the Kings Tuesday night.
Team officials were looking into flying partway back, spending the night and then flying the rest of the way Wednesday. But really, even if it’s Sacramento wouldn’t you rather spend a full night getting some rest (and a full night’s sleep) then just deal with the travel nightmare the next day?
The Celtics are off until Friday, when they face Dallas at home.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay