Feb 2, 2011, 12:10 PM EST
Brandon Bass has stepped up this season — especially as a starter since the big trades — and been a solid part of the Magic front line. There aren’t a lot of points in the paint left or rebounds to grab when you play along side Dwight Howard, but Bass had averaged 11.6 points and 6 rebounds a game for the Magic the last 10. He has been a good fit.
Now it looks like his sprained ankle is going to keep him out a while, according to the Orlando Sentinel. The Magic aren’t talking about it, but we all know a high ankle sprain could take a couple of weeks to heal. Bass sprained his ankle Monday night against the Grizzlies, taking a jumper then coming down on the foot of Zach Randolph.
Since trading Marcin Gortat, the Magic have been shorthanded along the front line. The loss of Bass for any period will really put a strain on them. Ryan Anderson will likely step into the starting role, after that a hobbled Malik Allen may get minutes. Or maybe Earl Clark will step up. Either way, the drop off is pretty severe. Stan Van Gundy could move Hedo Turkoglu to the four, but that really is not a place he is comfortable.
Just to make things harder, the Magic have the Heat on Thursday night then the Celtics on Sunday.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8