Feb 2, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
Brandon Bass has stepped up this season — especially as a starter since the big trades — and been a solid part of the Magic front line. There aren’t a lot of points in the paint left or rebounds to grab when you play along side Dwight Howard, but Bass had averaged 11.6 points and 6 rebounds a game for the Magic the last 10. He has been a good fit.
Now it looks like his sprained ankle is going to keep him out a while, according to the Orlando Sentinel. The Magic aren’t talking about it, but we all know a high ankle sprain could take a couple of weeks to heal. Bass sprained his ankle Monday night against the Grizzlies, taking a jumper then coming down on the foot of Zach Randolph.
Since trading Marcin Gortat, the Magic have been shorthanded along the front line. The loss of Bass for any period will really put a strain on them. Ryan Anderson will likely step into the starting role, after that a hobbled Malik Allen may get minutes. Or maybe Earl Clark will step up. Either way, the drop off is pretty severe. Stan Van Gundy could move Hedo Turkoglu to the four, but that really is not a place he is comfortable.
Just to make things harder, the Magic have the Heat on Thursday night then the Celtics on Sunday.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9