Feb 1, 2011, 7:15 PM EST
Orlando Magic shooting guard Jason Richardson is currently in the final season of the six-year, $70 million contract extension he signed in 2004. Since signing that extension, the 30-year old Richardson has carved out a niche for himself as a three-point gunner with good athleticism and the ability to finish at the rim.
However, according to ESPN.com’s Chad Ford, the Magic are probably going to let Richardson walk after this season unless they win a title:
Jason Richardson, SG, Magic:
His numbers no longer pop out at you (especially since the Suns traded him to Orlando), but Richardson continues to play well. He is a big threat from behind the arc and still has some bounce in those 30-year-old legs.
The Magic have incurred a massive payroll. Unless they win a title this season, it’s unlikely they’ll be willing to pay Richardson to stay around.
Richardson will be a luxury the Magic will have trouble affording this off-season: they owe a ton of money to new acquisition Gilbert Arenas, and J.J. Redick provides much of what Richardson does at a fraction of the cost. Richardson won’t be a Carmelo-like prize this offseason, but he could provide a serious scoring punch to a contending team like the Bulls, who have been making do with Keith Bogans starting at shooting guard. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20