Feb 1, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT
Those would be facinating matchups if any of those players really cared about the NBA All-Star Rookie/Sophomore game (formally called the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge). But alas, they don’t, still we should get a few highlights. Wall lobbing ally-oops to Griffin certainly has potential. Still, as this is treated as a defense-less exhibition, watch at your own discretion on Friday night (Feb. 18).
Here are the teams for the game:
Sophomores: Tyreke Evans (guard, Kings), DeJuan Blair (forward, Spurs), Stephen Curry (guard, Warriors), DeMar DeRozan, (guard, Raptors), Taj Gibson (forward, Bulls), Jrue Holiday (guard, 76ers), Serge Ibaka (forward/center, Thunder), Brandon Jennings (guard, Bucks) and Wesley Matthews (guard, Trail Blazers).
Rookies: Blake Griffin (forward, Clippers), John Wall (guard, Wizards), Eric Bledsoe (guard, Clippers), DeMarcus Cousins (forward, Kings), Derrick Favors (forward, Nets), Landry Fields (guard, Knicks), Wesley Johnson (guard, Timberwolves), Greg Monroe (center, Pistons) and Gary Neal (guard, Spurs).
The rookies will be coached by Spurs lead assistant coach Mike Budenholzer with help from Amar’e Stoudemire and Kevin McHale. The sophomores will be coached by the lead assistant from the top team in the East — Boston will wrap that up tonight — helped by Carmelo Anthony and Steve Kerr. That way Anthony can talk to the sophomores about getting out of their contracts in a few years. Really teach them the tricks of the trade.
Last season, for the first time ever, the rookies beat the sophomores. This time we’d say the rookies have a real chance… if we thought anyone really cared about the outcome.
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 10
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 0
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 5
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 16
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (89)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay